Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install onder drivers / software on newer Macos?

New Mac user here; I purchased a Mac mini M1 recently .

Is it possible to install drivers or software intended for an older macos version on a newer macos version? Will that work and if it does, what are the risks?

Thank you!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 2:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 3:25 AM

it might work, it might not it would not damage the device

when a new macOS version is released drivers may stop working and the hardware manufacturers have the option of releasing newer drivers which do work on the macOS version or stop supporting that model.

with m1 we are looking at a change of cpu hardware from intels x86 platform to arm cpu architecture and rely on a "translation layer" called rosetta stone 2 this could make hardware near software such as device drivers not work, but if it was me then I would give it a try

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 3:25 AM in response to Pascal H

it might work, it might not it would not damage the device

when a new macOS version is released drivers may stop working and the hardware manufacturers have the option of releasing newer drivers which do work on the macOS version or stop supporting that model.

with m1 we are looking at a change of cpu hardware from intels x86 platform to arm cpu architecture and rely on a "translation layer" called rosetta stone 2 this could make hardware near software such as device drivers not work, but if it was me then I would give it a try

Can I install onder drivers / software on newer Macos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.