Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to dismiss a notification on iphone? (and not snooze it or edit it)

Hi, I get notifications from my calendar app on the iphone (calendar events are synced to the iphone calendar, McBook calendar, ipad calendar) that I cannot dismiss. When I click the notification it takes me to "edit event", I can snooze it, but I cannot "accept" or "dismiss" them.

Most of the cases everything I need, is to know about it, so I need the notification to show up. Once I see it - it's ok, I don't need to snooze it or edit it. It's done and I want to forget about it (I still want it to show as an event in the past though).

How do I do that?

As a side information (not a problem really) the same event (I already participated in, with my iphone) shows up as soon as I turn on my laptop. It's in the past, I was there, I don't need to be reminded.

On my laptop I can "close" the notification with the "x" sign. There is no "x" sign on iphone...

Is there any "user guide" for notifications out there? (I haven't found it on the web, but maybe I didn't use the right wording...) I can't get the idea what those terms are, "banners", "badges" etc.

Furthermore - every now and then the iOS asks me if I really want to keep something "time sensitive".

Why does it keep asking me something I've chosen to set a while ago?

I bought this iphone two months ago and it is still fighting for my attention asking me configuration questions, I've already answered.

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 7:59 AM

See if this helps you. View and respond to notifications on iPhone - Apple Support This link is part of the iPhone User Guide, and you can take a look at the Table of Contents there as well. You can take a look at this support document to find out about Time Sensitive Settings. Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 7:59 AM in response to and133

See if this helps you. View and respond to notifications on iPhone - Apple Support This link is part of the iPhone User Guide, and you can take a look at the Table of Contents there as well. You can take a look at this support document to find out about Time Sensitive Settings. Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Nov 29, 2021 4:19 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you, I save the link for future issues :)

Since your answer is recommended by Apple I'll share my humble opinion here, although it's off-topic now, when the problem is solved.

I took my time to set the DND Focus one of the first days, but I struggled to understand different options for notifications. Internet search wasn't helpful either. The User Guide you pointed to, although helpful and otherwise thorough, seems to treat some basic information as obvious. A website UserGuide could use, IMHO, some images to explain the wording, i.e. instead of using the same image with "The Candy Store..." for $3 twice, there could be an image with a highlighted banner and explanation: "this is banner type notification". And the same for notification center, badges etc. It is really not so obvious (especially on an iphone) and I'm using ipads and Macbooks for about 10 years now.

How to dismiss a notification on iphone? (and not snooze it or edit it)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.