Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest Mode Wifi List in Airport Extreme

Hi

Does anyone know of a way to get a list of the devices attached through the guest network of an Airport. I can easily find the ones connected to the normal network, but can't seem to find a way to list those attached through the guest network. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 1:01 PM

Apple designed their routers for ease of use. ie network admins.. stay clear.

If you use Mojave or maybe even Catalina on the iMac then you can download and install by secret dark arts the rather ancient Airport Utility 5.6.1 Or it runs on windows OS.. at least from 7-10. I have it working on Mojave without issues except the computer cannot sleep.

Using this you will have access to the LOG.. I know.. phenomenal isn't it.

I have the Time Capsule as client on the network.. but if you have it as main router.. which you must for guest to work then the DHCP table should list the clients on the network, whether, ethernet or wireless.

I borrowed this screenshot from old post .. and Bob Timmons response.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5261012

What I am not sure is how it will handle client on second vlan.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 1:01 PM in response to BackstageSW

Apple designed their routers for ease of use. ie network admins.. stay clear.

If you use Mojave or maybe even Catalina on the iMac then you can download and install by secret dark arts the rather ancient Airport Utility 5.6.1 Or it runs on windows OS.. at least from 7-10. I have it working on Mojave without issues except the computer cannot sleep.

Using this you will have access to the LOG.. I know.. phenomenal isn't it.

I have the Time Capsule as client on the network.. but if you have it as main router.. which you must for guest to work then the DHCP table should list the clients on the network, whether, ethernet or wireless.

I borrowed this screenshot from old post .. and Bob Timmons response.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5261012

What I am not sure is how it will handle client on second vlan.

Nov 27, 2021 10:20 PM in response to BackstageSW

I hope your iMac can at least take a few naps during the day.

I am one who needs a nap now.. getting old.

Yes,, just turn off the old airport utility.. no problem.

I just tried it for my own testing purpose.. and it worked fine.

I setup a Gen5 AirPort Extreme.. double NAT to my main router with both main wifi to which I connected the computer and my iPhone to the guest wifi.. and both show up.

Then using the old utility I can see both wireless and DHCP Clients.

But I also found the v6 airport utility does show both wifi and guest wifi clients.

The problem is the guest clients don't have a lot of info so you will need to track back from MAC address which clients you have.

If you put the mouse pointer over the MAC address (or name or IP are also possible) a popup with some more info appears.

Unfortunately there is nothing here to indicate it is connected to guest.

It is rather the absence of IP address in the main network. Whereas the main computer shows IP as expected in the main DHCP range.

The old utility shows the guest wireless is using 172.16.42.2 which is more useful.

Fing could not find the guest client other than computer it is running from. Even when I joined it to the guest wifi. This is correct because the guest network should keep each client isolated from others.

Using ping on the computer's terminal gave same no response.

rpmhs-iMac:~ rpmh$ ping 172.16.42.1(AE5)

PING 172.16.42.1 (172.16.42.1): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 172.16.42.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.794 ms

rpmhs-iMac:~ rpmh$ ping 172.16.42.2 (Phone IP)

PING 172.16.42.2 (172.16.42.2): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

rpmhs-iMac:~ rpmh$ ping 172.16.42.3 (Computer IP)

PING 172.16.42.3 (172.16.42.3): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 172.16.42.3: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.048 ms

Guest Mode Wifi List in Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.