Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine to remote external HDD

In my home I have an iMac and two MacBook Pros.

The iMac is always turned on and I have an external HDD connected to it by USB. I use that external USB drive to Time Machine backup my iMac.

Is there a way I can use that same external HDD for the other MacBook Pros to backup?

I mean having my MacBook Pros remotely connect to my iMac and Time Machine back up them into my external HDD.

When I try to share the external drive of my iMac on my MacBook it doesn't show up as a driver usable by Time Machine.

iMac Pro, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 5:29 AM

From Big Sur, Time Machine will take control of the drive and not let anything else onto it. You would need to partition the drive in Disk Utility. One part for the iMac Time Machine, and another part for the other network backups. They can be on the same partition as Time Machine will create a separate disk image for each.

When you share out that partition, Ctrl-click on it in Sharing and choose Advanced options to set it as a Time Machine backup.

I create a single Sharing Only user for Time Machine and use that to connect to my Mini hosting the network backup drive.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2021 5:29 AM in response to nsss1970

From Big Sur, Time Machine will take control of the drive and not let anything else onto it. You would need to partition the drive in Disk Utility. One part for the iMac Time Machine, and another part for the other network backups. They can be on the same partition as Time Machine will create a separate disk image for each.

When you share out that partition, Ctrl-click on it in Sharing and choose Advanced options to set it as a Time Machine backup.

I create a single Sharing Only user for Time Machine and use that to connect to my Mini hosting the network backup drive.

Nov 27, 2021 10:00 AM in response to nsss1970

What is the format of the external drive? My guess is that the format is not compatible with Time Machine.

Now if you attach an external disk and use it as a Time Machine backup it gets formatted and made Read Only (except for Time Machine).

You might be able to use an external drive on another Mac if that drive has a dedicated partition for Time Machine. You might need a partition for each Mac.

Nov 29, 2021 10:49 AM in response to nsss1970

nsss1970 wrote:

By the way, I have created a new APFS volume, not a partition.
It seems that way the whole physical disk space is available for all volumes, according to the space they need.
(With a partition, it seemed I needed to pre-decide how much space I allocated to each partition)

If that works, great. I tried creating a new (local) TM backup on a Volume and I thought it didn't work that way, but maybe I'm confusing it with something else. Or, they have since fixed it.

Time Machine to remote external HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.