Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t sign in to app store even though apple ID and password are correct

Background: Pulled an old MacBook Pro Retina 13” (mid 2015) out of storage, blew the dust off of it, and re-installed Mac OS X Yosemite via the recovery partition and over our network. Successfully logged in, connected to my iCloud account, applied software updates that it wanted. No problem.

THEN … I tried to log in to the App Store. Both of them complain my Apple ID or password are incorrect - but at the same time my iPhonme pops up the standard alert asking me to approve the new device on my account (exactly as it did when I logged into iCloud). The prompt to enter the verification code never appears on the MBP though. That convinces I did enter my password correctly, otherwise an approval message wouldn’t have gotten sent.

What should I try next? Set up a new AppleID from scratch?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 9:03 AM

@leroydouglas, thank you - but ... I did read that tech note and try all its suggestions before posting here. They did not help*.

What did help was creating a new Apple ID. This makes me think something in my primary account security settings won't work with Yosemite. With the new account, I was able to connect to the App Store and update the computer to Yosemite, And with Big Sur I've been able to sign in to the App Store with my primary account also.

* To be fair, one of the suggestions was to update the OS. But as you can't update the OS until you can connect to the App Store, it's not an practical suggestion in this case.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 9:03 AM in response to leroydouglas

@leroydouglas, thank you - but ... I did read that tech note and try all its suggestions before posting here. They did not help*.

What did help was creating a new Apple ID. This makes me think something in my primary account security settings won't work with Yosemite. With the new account, I was able to connect to the App Store and update the computer to Yosemite, And with Big Sur I've been able to sign in to the App Store with my primary account also.

* To be fair, one of the suggestions was to update the OS. But as you can't update the OS until you can connect to the App Store, it's not an practical suggestion in this case.

Nov 28, 2021 8:14 AM in response to Lee D. Rimar

Lee D. Rimar wrote:

Background: Pulled an old MacBook Pro Retina 13” (mid 2015) out of storage, blew the dust off of it, and re-installed Mac OS X Yosemite via the recovery partition and over our network. Successfully logged in, connected to my iCloud account, applied software updates that it wanted. No problem.

THEN … I tried to log in to the App Store. Both of them complain my Apple ID or password are incorrect - but at the same time my iPhonme pops up the standard alert asking me to approve the new device on my account (exactly as it did when I logged into iCloud). The prompt to enter the verification code never appears on the MBP though. That convinces I did enter my password correctly, otherwise an approval message wouldn’t have gotten sent.

What should I try next? Set up a new AppleID from scratch?

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other ...

Can’t sign in to app store even though apple ID and password are correct

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.