App Store Asking to Sign in with Incorrect ID

When trying to update all non-uninstallable apps (iMove, Key Note, Numbers, etc) on my MacBook Pro, iTunes/App store is requiring I sign into an apple ID I do not have access to instead of the one that it is already logged in to. The old apple ID is one I have previously used back in the iPod Touch days and no longer have access to the phone number attached to the two-step verification, but do have its password. No one who has previously used that login uses it anymore.

I have tried logging out and logging back into the App Store using the *correct* ID, updating the operating software, and rebooting my computer with no luck. It tries to log in with the wrong ID, and when I type in the correct ID/Password, I get this error, which will loop in perpetuity until I click cancel. This effectively makes my computer one really expensive internet browser, which is both a waste of money and time as I purchased this computer to use creative apps. Help!

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on May 14, 2023 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 1:36 PM

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

A Mac App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you will need to reacquire the app with your new Apple ID. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.3.1;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.4; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.4.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.4.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.4.1; HomePods, audioOS 16.4.1 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2023 1:36 PM in response to canidkeeper

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

A Mac App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you will need to reacquire the app with your new Apple ID. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.3.1;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.4; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.4.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.4.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.4.1; HomePods, audioOS 16.4.1 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

App Store Asking to Sign in with Incorrect ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.