Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey won't install

2015 MacBook Pro won't install Monterey, it downloads ok and the install starts but after 17 minutes I get the message " there is a problem please try again" but I just get the same response.

I have installed a larger hard drive a few years ago and don't have the old one which had problems anyway so is there any way left to upgrade my Mac?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 2:53 PM

The Monterey upgrade includes an update to Mac's firmware and that requires that an Apple SSD be installed. The firmware update writes to the disk as part of doing the firmware update, Once the firmware is updated you can use non-Apple SSDs

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 27, 2021 3:08 PM in response to lllaass

It’s odd that apple are treating its customers this way, there was no need do this with earlier operating systems so why now.

I have now gone back to a PC which allows more scope to upgrade etc.

I guess I will have to give up my apple iphone at my next upgrade, sign of the times I suppose.

Since Steve Jobs passed I feel apple has drifted in terms of quality, the phone has lots of hiccups and the Macbook seems increasingly unstable and slow compared to my new Windows Laptop

Monterey won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.