Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove ALL name tags in Photo

Is there a way to remove a person's name on all photos in order to rerun facial recognition because two people photos were mysteriously combined into one person.

For some unknown reason, two individuals were merged into one in the People library. Instead of having to change thousand of photos individually, is there a way to remove or delete a name tag on all photos of a person in order to rerun facial recognition to separate these photos into two people.

OR. Remove ALL name tags for ALL persons and rerun facial recognition from start?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 8:16 AM

If you have a Time Machine backup of the Photos library from the time, before the two people albums became merged, you may just want to restore the library from the Time Machine backup. But export all newer photos from the library, that are newer than the backup, to save the new photos. restoring from the backup will not work however, if your library is syncing with iCloud Photos. If the library has been syncing with iCloud, you would have to remove all People albums from iCloud and all other devices, before you restore the library from Time Machine. Deleting all People Albums will reset the face recognition.

On macOS 10.15 Catalina I had lots of trouble with people becoming merged over and over again. I used this method to fix merged people: How to Correct Merged People Albums - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 8:16 AM in response to Peter Sjobeck1

If you have a Time Machine backup of the Photos library from the time, before the two people albums became merged, you may just want to restore the library from the Time Machine backup. But export all newer photos from the library, that are newer than the backup, to save the new photos. restoring from the backup will not work however, if your library is syncing with iCloud Photos. If the library has been syncing with iCloud, you would have to remove all People albums from iCloud and all other devices, before you restore the library from Time Machine. Deleting all People Albums will reset the face recognition.

On macOS 10.15 Catalina I had lots of trouble with people becoming merged over and over again. I used this method to fix merged people: How to Correct Merged People Albums - Apple Community

Remove ALL name tags in Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.