Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in Apple ID verification process

Hello everyone

Problem

My cousin is stuck in someone else's account (account needs to be verified). Her phone is essentially useless now. She told me that she bought it from someone else, because she needed it for a game. Of course this is shady. The guy's profile picture has a text that says "Now what to do next?".

Attempts to solve the problem

• I tried following the normal instructions on how to verify your account. Only to discover that the recovery email is another one that can't traced.
  • Tried telling her to contact the account seller, but she doesn't know how to contact him. I suspect he's just gone.
  • Tried changing settings, but can't because account is locked.

At this point I did not bother to do a reset via the settings. What makes this more complicated is that she doesn't have easy access to a computer since she lives in rural Thailand, and I live in the Netherlands.

------------------------

So, should I just tell her to go to a repair shop? Or is there another option?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 8:04 AM

Hello ~It sounds as if you have an iPhone that is activation locked and if so and sounds like the person that sold it to her cannot be trusted or contacted. If it is activation locked we cannot help and neither can Apple . It would be nice if she could return it and get her money back but that option does not sound viable either. Take a look here and the iPhone is more than likely useless at this point. Recycle it responsibly.

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Also:

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

~Katana-San~

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 8:04 AM in response to iPitt

Hello ~It sounds as if you have an iPhone that is activation locked and if so and sounds like the person that sold it to her cannot be trusted or contacted. If it is activation locked we cannot help and neither can Apple . It would be nice if she could return it and get her money back but that option does not sound viable either. Take a look here and the iPhone is more than likely useless at this point. Recycle it responsibly.

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Also:

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

~Katana-San~

Stuck in Apple ID verification process

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.