Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Referenced photos edited out of photo are changed only while new original is connected

I use Photo on my iMac with BigSure with referenced original on an external SSD JPEG and raw.

If I edite the original on the SSD with Photoshop Elements 2020 after it has been imported into Photo, I see the edited images into Photo only if the external SSD is connected. Without the Ext SSD the image into Photo remains unedited until I connect the SSD again. I tried to import the picture again but it seems to be impossible. If I consolidate the picture then Photo imports the edited version as a new picture adding it to the folder.

Any way to avoid this behavior ? Ok importing into Photo all pictures only after editing them with Photoshop could be a solution but I like to work the other way going to Photoshop only to do some editing which I am not able to do with Photo.

Thanks for your suggestion.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 4:34 AM

Hi - I don't think you will have success with this workflow - Photos is not desgned to work for editing in this way with an external editor - it will not recreate previews based on edits made externally to the referenced images. There is also significant risk of breaking the links - depending on what the external editor does to the file.

Further - most experts here don't recommend using the referenced model at all - there is too much risk of photos losing the link to your referenced images, and then it lacks the tools to re-link them. See:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002591

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2021 4:34 AM in response to WALTER-MILANO-ITALY

Hi - I don't think you will have success with this workflow - Photos is not desgned to work for editing in this way with an external editor - it will not recreate previews based on edits made externally to the referenced images. There is also significant risk of breaking the links - depending on what the external editor does to the file.

Further - most experts here don't recommend using the referenced model at all - there is too much risk of photos losing the link to your referenced images, and then it lacks the tools to re-link them. See:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002591

Referenced photos edited out of photo are changed only while new original is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.