Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K (2021) producing green flashes on new Sony Bravia TV

I'm streaming 1080p movies (i.e., not even 4K) using a disk attached an Airport Extreme to a brand new Apple TV 4K, which is connected to the TV via HDMI. For some reason I'm getting green flashes/flicker appearing on the screen. The Sony is also brand new (model X85J). The new 4K Apple TV replaced an older 3rd generation Apple TV and in the 9 years I had it I've never had an issue. I saw an earlier post from Jan 2021 about this issue, but a solution was not offered (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252317168?login=true).

Has anyone else run into this issue? Aware of a solution?

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 7:24 PM

Ha! Wow - it's nice to be able to help with one of these requests...

I almost took my X85J off the wall and back to BestBuy which was going to be an enormous hassle. Especially since they were most likely going to point me in the direction of Sony.

Fortunately I saw this first:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/k4d5x2/green_flicker_when_using_apple_tv_4k_dolby_vision/

It's for an older Sony X900H, but the fixes there seemed to work. Do you have it set to Dolby Vision?

Basically, what worked for me was going to Settings on the Apple TV / Video & Audio, and:

1. Changed Format from Dolby Vision to 4K HDR
  2. Changed Match Content Range & Frame Rate to both be ON

Somewhat unbelievably the flickering stopped instantly.

I don't fully understand everything that's happening here, but all I know is that the green flicker that seemed to be becoming worse, hasn't shown up yet. At least for our set up.

Have a go!

Best wishes

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2021 7:24 PM in response to Lloyd Deane

Ha! Wow - it's nice to be able to help with one of these requests...

I almost took my X85J off the wall and back to BestBuy which was going to be an enormous hassle. Especially since they were most likely going to point me in the direction of Sony.

Fortunately I saw this first:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/k4d5x2/green_flicker_when_using_apple_tv_4k_dolby_vision/

It's for an older Sony X900H, but the fixes there seemed to work. Do you have it set to Dolby Vision?

Basically, what worked for me was going to Settings on the Apple TV / Video & Audio, and:

1. Changed Format from Dolby Vision to 4K HDR
  2. Changed Match Content Range & Frame Rate to both be ON

Somewhat unbelievably the flickering stopped instantly.

I don't fully understand everything that's happening here, but all I know is that the green flicker that seemed to be becoming worse, hasn't shown up yet. At least for our set up.

Have a go!

Best wishes

Jan 23, 2022 3:22 AM in response to Nicktrue98

Yes. It is a little frustrating. I obviywiah it didn’t happen at all. But does not seem to flash for me except screensaver mode. I’ve watched a YouTube video and seen the flash there as well. But I can not recall a green flash during prime viewing.

I have yet to call Sony. But that is coming.

looks like this has been an issue for years! Sad that one of them can not figure this out. My last 75” Vizio did not do this. Not ONE single time.

eric H

Apple TV 4K (2021) producing green flashes on new Sony Bravia TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.