Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor Showing "No Signal"

I just purchased a 2012 Mac Mini from Other World Computers (a very reputable supplier of Apple products) and when I hooked up my older ViewSonic VA1928WM monitor with a DVI to HDMI cable I got a "No Signal" on the monitor.

I've talked to ViewSonic and they said it should work, but suggested I talk to Apple. I called Apple and they did not offer any suggestions. I then called OWC technical support and they indicated my monitor should work with the Mini.

Can anyone one offer any suggestions or solutions?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 6:02 AM

10 replies

Dec 1, 2021 6:03 PM in response to Porsche Pilot

1 ) The 2012 Mac Mini has an HDMI and a Mini DisplayPort that can be used for display output.

When discussing display connections, it it less confusing to start at the Mac Mini and end at the display.

for example "HDMI to DVI" the Mac Mini's HDMI output and then the displays DVI input port.

or "Mini DisplayPort to DVD" first the Mac Mini's Mini DisplayPort output and then the displays DVI input port.

2) What HDMI to DVI cable do you have?

Not all passive cables are supported or work and sometimes you need to use active adapters or adapter cables.

Dec 2, 2021 5:16 AM in response to Porsche Pilot

Yes the Thunderbolt port on the 2012 Mac Mini, is basically just a Mini DisplayPort outlet for connecting external displays.

Yea Amazon sells some pretty cheap stuff.

FWIW I ran dual DVI displays on both of my 2012 Mac Mini's for years and you need to use one of the adapters and cable connections that I suggested above.

You can also use some cheaper third party HDMI to DVI adapter and some third party Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters, but they may not work like the cheap-o Amazon cable that you currently have.

Monitor Showing "No Signal"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.