You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iPadOS 15 no longer optional?

I understood that users had the option to remain on iOS 14 and updating to 15 would continue to be an optional upgrade. Since 15 was first released I’ve seen the option to manually update under Software Update but my iPad has only auto downloaded and installed the security updates to iPadOS 14, latest being 14.8.1. Today out of the blue my iPad has auto downloaded 15.1 and scheduled it for overnight auto installation. Are we all now being forced to upgrade after all? I’ve not read that Apple has changed the policy on this?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 12:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 1:35 AM

Update to iPadOS 15.x is still optional - but your iPad settings will affect your ability to remain with iPadOS 14.8.1 - this being the last/current security update for iPadOS 14.x.

If you don’t want to update to iPadOS 15.1, you should at least disable automatic installation of updates in iPad Settings:

Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates >

• Download iPadOS Updates - set to OFF
  • Install iPadOS Updates - set to OFF

As the iPadOS 15.1 update has already been downloaded and scheduled for for installation, if you don’t want this to be installed, you can delete the update package before it is irreversibly installed:

Settings > General > iPad Storage

Scroll down the list of Apps until you find the update package; swipe to the left, then tap Delete.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 2, 2021 1:35 AM in response to annethedosser

Update to iPadOS 15.x is still optional - but your iPad settings will affect your ability to remain with iPadOS 14.8.1 - this being the last/current security update for iPadOS 14.x.

If you don’t want to update to iPadOS 15.1, you should at least disable automatic installation of updates in iPad Settings:

Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates >

• Download iPadOS Updates - set to OFF
  • Install iPadOS Updates - set to OFF

As the iPadOS 15.1 update has already been downloaded and scheduled for for installation, if you don’t want this to be installed, you can delete the update package before it is irreversibly installed:

Settings > General > iPad Storage

Scroll down the list of Apps until you find the update package; swipe to the left, then tap Delete.

Moving iPadOS 15 no longer optional?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.