Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 2 and Microsoft 365

For the paid version of Microsoft 365, I used the draw function on both excel and word to write some words with the Apple Pencil 2 on the iPad Pro Gen 2. However the handwriting doesn’t seem to be able to convert to text. Please advise. Thanks

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 12:33 PM

The second generation Apple Pencil only works with the 3rd generation iPad Pro (and later) as it requires an iPad with an integral magnetic charging dock. If your iPad Pro is 2nd generation, then only the 1st generation Pencil is compatible. If you charge your Pencil via the Lightning port, it's first generation. If your iPad Pro has a charging dock, it's 3rd (or later), and your Pencil is 2nd generation.

The reason it doesn't work is because Office 365 doesn't support convert to text. This is a MS issue, nothing to do with Apple.

I have both and I hardly ever use my 1st generation Pencil as it's so inconvenient to charge. I have a 4th generation 12.9" and I couldn't be without my 2nd gen Pencil. I also prefer the shape of the second generation as the slightly flattened charging edge makes it far more comfortable to use for long periods. I find cylindrical writing utensils extremely uncomfortable.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2021 12:33 PM in response to E8-P

The second generation Apple Pencil only works with the 3rd generation iPad Pro (and later) as it requires an iPad with an integral magnetic charging dock. If your iPad Pro is 2nd generation, then only the 1st generation Pencil is compatible. If you charge your Pencil via the Lightning port, it's first generation. If your iPad Pro has a charging dock, it's 3rd (or later), and your Pencil is 2nd generation.

The reason it doesn't work is because Office 365 doesn't support convert to text. This is a MS issue, nothing to do with Apple.

I have both and I hardly ever use my 1st generation Pencil as it's so inconvenient to charge. I have a 4th generation 12.9" and I couldn't be without my 2nd gen Pencil. I also prefer the shape of the second generation as the slightly flattened charging edge makes it far more comfortable to use for long periods. I find cylindrical writing utensils extremely uncomfortable.

Apple Pencil 2 and Microsoft 365

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.