Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a recommendation for Mac security

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 1:51 AM

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 1:51 AM in response to john2730

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Dec 3, 2021 5:15 AM in response to john2730

Thank you to John for the contribution. I have suspected that suppliers of anti virus software spend time to ensure that their programmes interfere with other competitors programmes and make removal difficult for the user. The article has given me knowledge to be able to tackle problems in a constructive manner. I appreciate the effort! Thanks from John2730

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.