Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard shortcut "clean-up" (cmd+opt+number) does not work on new M1 max MacBook (Monterey)

I have always been using the keyboard shortcut to clean up a lot. The shortcut is cmd+opt+number 1-4 (not exactly remember the number), the main shortcut I have been using is the cmd+opt+2 to clean up by kind. However, when I switched from the 2016 MacBook pro to the new 2021 MacBook Pro, the shortcut just went off. I am wondering if that is because of the OS version, the new MacBook is using Monterey (12.0.1)and the old one is on Big Sur. I have tried that on other Mac too, iMac, Mac mini, they're all on Big Sur and able to use the shortcut.

Does anyone know how to fix this? this is the daily shortcut I use, I'm getting really frustrated on the issue. If this is something about the macOS, then hopefully they add back the shortcut or fix the bug in the next update, it is a great feature that we should keep.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 2:08 AM

Thanks! I am guessing the shortcut needs to activate before ready to use.

What I did is click on the view of the top menu, and hover to "Clean up by", once it's done, the shortcut "clean up by" is good to use again.

The shortcut doesn't change but it needs to be activated.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 2:08 AM in response to Sonicray

Thanks! I am guessing the shortcut needs to activate before ready to use.

What I did is click on the view of the top menu, and hover to "Clean up by", once it's done, the shortcut "clean up by" is good to use again.

The shortcut doesn't change but it needs to be activated.

Dec 3, 2021 1:52 AM in response to Sonicray

i was checking the page too. however, I did not find any information about clean-up

the closest thing I see is cmd+number 1-4 to change the view in the finder window, but it is not the shortcut I am looking for.

I might have missed the part you said, can you please provide me the information or the direction to that? Thank you!

keyboard shortcut "clean-up" (cmd+opt+number) does not work on new M1 max MacBook (Monterey)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.