Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Trade-In

Hello Apple Community,

I ordered a new iPad about a month ago and I requested to trade in my old iPad to get credit back for the new iPad, but now I’m wondering, is it alright if I take my old iPad to the Apple Store once the new iPad arrives instead of mailing it back to Apple? I know they send a box with all the instructions I need to trade it in, but I might go to the Apple Store soon for another reason and thought that if I’m there already, can I ask to have the device traded in then instead and not get a gift card, but rather credit back from buying the new iPad?

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

Captain.

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 1:04 PM

Captain,

You're very welcome! From the Frequently Asked Questions area, we see:

"Should I choose credit toward a purchase or an Apple Store Gift Card?

It depends on where and when you make a purchase.

If you’re ready to buy a new product at an Apple Store, you can bring your old device with you. If it’s eligible for trade-in, we’ll apply an instant credit at the time of purchase.

If you’re ready to buy a new Apple product online (apple.com (Opens in a new window) or the Apple Store app), you can trade in an old device and get credit toward your purchase.

If you’re not ready to make a purchase, you can trade in your old device online for an Apple Gift Card via email that you can apply to any future Apple purchase.

And no matter how you use Apple Trade In, if your device has no trade-in value, you can always recycle it responsibly for free."

So it looks like the only option is the Apple Gift Card or credit at the time of purchase. As mentioned earlier, since this is a public discussion forum, for additional questions about the trade in program we recommend reaching out to the Apple sales experts using the link provided earlier.

Thanks, and have a wonderful day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 1:04 PM in response to -Captain-

Captain,

You're very welcome! From the Frequently Asked Questions area, we see:

"Should I choose credit toward a purchase or an Apple Store Gift Card?

It depends on where and when you make a purchase.

If you’re ready to buy a new product at an Apple Store, you can bring your old device with you. If it’s eligible for trade-in, we’ll apply an instant credit at the time of purchase.

If you’re ready to buy a new Apple product online (apple.com (Opens in a new window) or the Apple Store app), you can trade in an old device and get credit toward your purchase.

If you’re not ready to make a purchase, you can trade in your old device online for an Apple Gift Card via email that you can apply to any future Apple purchase.

And no matter how you use Apple Trade In, if your device has no trade-in value, you can always recycle it responsibly for free."

So it looks like the only option is the Apple Gift Card or credit at the time of purchase. As mentioned earlier, since this is a public discussion forum, for additional questions about the trade in program we recommend reaching out to the Apple sales experts using the link provided earlier.

Thanks, and have a wonderful day!

Dec 4, 2021 12:06 PM in response to -Captain-

Hello Captain,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities. We understand that you've purchased a new iPad and chose to trade in your current one for credit toward the new iPad, but would like to take it to an Apple Store instead of mailing it in. From the Apple Trade In site we see "Can I see what my device is worth online, then bring it with me when I buy a new device in the store?

Yes, the Apple Trade In program is available on apple.com (Opens in a new window) as well as in all our retail stores.

However, keep in mind that the trade-in credit you get in the store may be different from the estimated trade-in value you received online" here: Apple Trade In

Since you've already started the trade in process though, we recommend reaching out to the Apple sales experts to look at available options. They can be reached using the following site, just be sure to change to your region: Contacting Apple

Thanks again, and take care.

Dec 5, 2021 12:42 PM in response to TammyW_03

Thank you very much TammyW_03 for replying, I just want to verify, if I take it in, can I say I ordered an iPad already with a trade in box, but I want to have the credit put back onto mu payment method instead of a gift card? I have already gone once and traded in my old Mac for money before, so I know how it normally works, but I just want to know, if I take it to the Apple Store, can I get the money in a different form than a gift card.

(You might have answered this question since that was what I posted originally, but I missed it if you did.)

Apple Trade-In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.