Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup-Documents Folder

Maybe I'm old school, but I would like to know how iCloud is backed up for data beyond iPhone, iPad and Watch. I bought a MacBook Pro and I want to share files with my iMac. Tech Support suggested I move my Documents folder from my iMac to iCloud so that both systems can access them. It saves space on both systems, so I'm ok with that. I'm testing the systems to see what would happen if there is no internet access. I have Backblaze that has been my backup system backing up my iMac, Mac and external drives. Soooo, now I feel like I have to trust nothing happens to the iCloud data. Has anyone else done the same thing and if so, what if your comfort level?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 8:34 AM

As léonie said, they are on your Mac if you don't turn the optimize option on. One way to access them is through the Finder sidebar in the iCloud section. If you want to verify that they are on your Mac, you can open a Finder window and go to your iCloud files, you can hover the cursor over the small cloud icon in the Finder window beside each file or folder and it will show "Downloaded."

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2021 8:34 AM in response to Kingbingo1

As léonie said, they are on your Mac if you don't turn the optimize option on. One way to access them is through the Finder sidebar in the iCloud section. If you want to verify that they are on your Mac, you can open a Finder window and go to your iCloud files, you can hover the cursor over the small cloud icon in the Finder window beside each file or folder and it will show "Downloaded."

Dec 3, 2021 6:21 PM in response to Kingbingo1

My comfort level is high -- but not high enough that I turn on "Optimize Mac Storage." With that option off, all of my files are on both iCloud and also on my Mac where I can personally back them up.

That setting is at Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in Preferences side bar) > Optimize Mac Storage.

Also be aware of the following:

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers.

It is possible to sync data from a Mac to iCloud if you turn on those options (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive including the Desktop & Documents option). Syncing has some of the benefits of a backup (and the benefit of being offsite) but is not the same as a backup. Major differences include the fact that not everything on your Mac can be synced and the fact that if you delete something, accidentally or otherwise, there is only a limited time period (30 days in most cases) during which it can be recovered.

Also see: https://support.apple.com/mac-backup

And more information on syncing in:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

and

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

and

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Dec 4, 2021 3:03 PM in response to Kingbingo1

The files are in [username] > Library > Mobile Documents -- whether or not they have finished uploading to iCloud.

When I did a clone of my entire drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, I was not able to access the files in iCloud Drive like I could other files, due to the way that Finder handles the iCloud Drive folder. I needed to boot from the clone and then I could access them with no issues. Léonie has another method that you may want to consider with Backblaze. Both of these are covered in the following previous forum discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251398747

Dec 3, 2021 11:02 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you for the advice and links to other resources. I have enough space on my Mac that I don’t mind having files in both the iCloud (for accessibility) and the Mac (for Backblaze backups). So, how are you able to have the files in both the Mac and iCloud? When I checked Documents and Desktop, all the files and folders were moved to the iCloud. Did you copy the files back to a local folder? If so, how do you connect them somehow to make sure they sync? I looked through the links you provided, but I didn’t see anything that helped me understand the workflow.

lol. Nothing wrong with being old school and old.

Dec 4, 2021 2:58 AM in response to Kingbingo1

As long as you are not using the “optimise mac storage” option, all files you are storing in iCloud will be mirrored locally on your Mac as well and Time Machine will include them in the backup. I do not use backblaze, so I cannot comment on that. Like FoxFifth I am using iCloud for syncing my devices and having the added security of an off-site storage, but I want to have all my data stored locally as well, so I can access them, if the internet is not available, and I want to be able to back them up easily.

Dec 4, 2021 1:29 PM in response to FoxFifth

Hi FoxFifth and Léonie (pretty name),

I am trying to get my mind around the concept and I'm getting closer to the resolution. It is correct that I am NOT using the Optimize Mac Storage option. I want to make sure Backblaze knows where the files/folders are because I can't see them when I look in the libraries: Macintosh HD>Users>(username).

But when I go into Backblaze to see the files that are backed up, I see the iMac Documents and Desktops folders. The issue is that the folders are incomplete. It doesn't have all the data. Going back to my Finder window and going to the iCloud files, I hover over the cloud icon and it says "Uploading". So, I'm going to wait a couple of days to make sure the upload is complete and Backblaze has all the files uploaded and backed up. Then I will be cool about not being able to specifically see them outside of iCloud.

Thank you both for your patience and advice.

Dec 5, 2021 4:11 PM in response to FoxFifth

I found it! Hmmm, Apple sure hides it well. I do have CCC, just upgraded to 6.0. I was able to drag and drop the iMac Documents folder into the source and so it will be cloned. This is all falling into place and I am getting a better comfort feeling that the data will be backed up properly while also having the ability to access the files from all my devices. Thank you both so much!

iCloud backup-Documents Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.