Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Related Article: Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPad Pro as a laptop replacement

Hi, I want to use my new iPad Pro as a computer and would like to transfer all my data to my iPad. Can you show how it can be done? The present method of syncing with itunes is not helpful in transferring my office files.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 11:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 2:05 AM

As stated by Rudegar, a simple “transfer” of data is not possible. Your computer and iPad use entirely different operating systems and system architectures - these being as different as the underlying filesystem.

You can copy many files to your iPad to use with compatible Apps. To do so, you can use iTunes - or iCloud.

Presumably your laptop is a PC? You can install and use both iTunes and iCloud for Windows; they will happily coexist - and provide considerable flexibility in how you move/share/transfer/manage data, photos and other documents between iPad and Apple devices.

iTunes for Windows

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

iCloud for Windows

Download iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

Set up and use iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

This support page may also be helpful to you:

Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2021 2:05 AM in response to malavkshirsagar

As stated by Rudegar, a simple “transfer” of data is not possible. Your computer and iPad use entirely different operating systems and system architectures - these being as different as the underlying filesystem.

You can copy many files to your iPad to use with compatible Apps. To do so, you can use iTunes - or iCloud.

Presumably your laptop is a PC? You can install and use both iTunes and iCloud for Windows; they will happily coexist - and provide considerable flexibility in how you move/share/transfer/manage data, photos and other documents between iPad and Apple devices.

iTunes for Windows

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

iCloud for Windows

Download iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

Set up and use iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

This support page may also be helpful to you:

Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

Using iPad Pro as a laptop replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.