Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install a higher OS on a mid 2011 mini running High Sierra 10.13.6?

Hi Folks,

Need your help. Can I install a higher OS on a mid 2011 mini running High Sierra 10.13.6"

If not, what year mini would I need?

Is there a list of which OS's work on which minis?

I don't need the most current OS because I don't need all the features, but I do need one that won't give me the spinning ball every time I use Mail and the Internet.

Thank you!

Esther

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 11:41 PM

Sorry, but no. The next version would be macOS Mojave and it would require a 2012 or later Mac mini to run on.

For even newer macOS versions:

• macOS Catalina: 2012+ Mac mini
  • macOS Big Sur: 2014+ Mac mini
  • macOS Monterey: 2014+ Mac mini

However, before investing in a new mini, I suggest that you run an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a diagnostics tool that can help pinpoint potential issues with your Mac. Optionally, you can post it here if you need assistance with analyzing its results.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 11:41 PM in response to Esther Le Sieur

Sorry, but no. The next version would be macOS Mojave and it would require a 2012 or later Mac mini to run on.

For even newer macOS versions:

• macOS Catalina: 2012+ Mac mini
  • macOS Big Sur: 2014+ Mac mini
  • macOS Monterey: 2014+ Mac mini

However, before investing in a new mini, I suggest that you run an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a diagnostics tool that can help pinpoint potential issues with your Mac. Optionally, you can post it here if you need assistance with analyzing its results.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Can I install a higher OS on a mid 2011 mini running High Sierra 10.13.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.