Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Home (version 6.0 on Monterey) and Home Hub

I can't find a community for HomeKit (wonder why!?) so having to post in Mac and HomePod specific groups.

I've had a problem that existed before Monterey on previous versions of Mac OS. Essentially, the Home application on this particular Mac NEVER sees the Home Hub Apple TV on my network - whether wired or wirelessly. Every time I launch it, it defaults to 'My Home' and looks like its looking to find accessories in the 'Default Room'. I've tried going in to System Preferences > Apple ID > and taking the tick out and in on the Home applet, rebooting, signing out etc, but it never seems to work!

All my IOS devices AND the other 3 Mac's see the Home Hub and all the accessories fine. Just not my MacMini...

See the pic:

Here is the app working properly on a MacBook

On an IOS device...

[BTW - the Apple TV Hub is wired and so is the MacMini. I've tried the MacMini on just the wireless connection but same problem].

Is there a way to force the Mac Home application to connect to, or see my Home Hub that all the other machines see? Happy to edit configuration files if needs be :)

TIA folks...

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 2:38 PM

Hello Juliansmith,

We appreciate you sharing these details. We'd like you to try starting your Mac in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Doing this step will allow your Mac to run certain checks and prevents software from automatically loading or opening. Here are the steps to do this: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Please note that it will take longer than normal for your computer to load. Also, your screen may flash and change colors. Do not be alarmed this is normal behavior when accessing safe mode.

After starting up in safe mode, reboot normally and test.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2021 2:38 PM in response to juliansmith

Hello Juliansmith,

We appreciate you sharing these details. We'd like you to try starting your Mac in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Doing this step will allow your Mac to run certain checks and prevents software from automatically loading or opening. Here are the steps to do this: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Please note that it will take longer than normal for your computer to load. Also, your screen may flash and change colors. Do not be alarmed this is normal behavior when accessing safe mode.

After starting up in safe mode, reboot normally and test.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

Dec 7, 2021 10:24 AM in response to M_Alva523

Hey, sorry its taken a while for me to get round to trying this...

Good news, it works with a different local user account on my Mac mini (actually, it was an existing user account that I just mapped my Apple ID to)!

I don't want to have to re-create my profile with my normal user account though, that sounds painful! Is there a way of getting rid of the duff HomeKit part of my current user profile?

Dec 11, 2021 5:08 AM in response to 1ssmith

Well, well, well! This did the trick and I'm sure its solved a few other strange issues as well! What I find interesting is that even after an inplace upgrade from Catalina to Monterey, the problem persisted so Safe Mode (I assume is single user mode) does some other kernel maintenance that upgrades don't do. I shall use this routine on occasion to keep my Mac healthy :)

Well done 1ssmith, kudos and if there were gold that could be given in Apple Communities (is there?) I would certainly give you some!

Mac OS Home (version 6.0 on Monterey) and Home Hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.