Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing between MacBook Pro and Apple TV not working

How do I get Home Sharing to work? After reading many help articles and following the instructions to the letter, I still get the "no libraries available" message on my Apple TV.

Both machines are updated, I power-cycled both devices and the router, both machines are on the same wi-fi network and signed-in with the same Apple ID, no VPN is running on the PowerMac, Media Sharing and Home Sharing are toggled on in the PowerMac, both the Apple TV app and the Music app are open and signed in with the same Apple ID.

Also tried pairing the MacBook to the Apple TV, but it won't pair.

What am I missing?

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 5:17 PM

What version macOS is running on the Mac?

What version tvOS is running on the Apple TV box?

For macOS 10.15 or later, Home Sharing has to be configured in the System Preferences/​System Settings. This would be detailed in the support document: Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support.

Both devices will need to have set the matching Apple ID once more, specifically for Home Sharing.

For Wi-Fi, both devices need to connect to the exact same SSID network name, if your router is configured for more than one SSID network name. Else that would be seen as separate networks. Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support.

Verify that there is local content (on drives) in the Libraries on Mac. Content in the cloud is not available for Home Sharing. For music, the downloaded tracks should not be Apple Music subscription content, as that is not shareable through Home Sharing.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2023 5:17 PM in response to thirteenthirteen1313

What version macOS is running on the Mac?

What version tvOS is running on the Apple TV box?

For macOS 10.15 or later, Home Sharing has to be configured in the System Preferences/​System Settings. This would be detailed in the support document: Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support.

Both devices will need to have set the matching Apple ID once more, specifically for Home Sharing.

For Wi-Fi, both devices need to connect to the exact same SSID network name, if your router is configured for more than one SSID network name. Else that would be seen as separate networks. Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support.

Verify that there is local content (on drives) in the Libraries on Mac. Content in the cloud is not available for Home Sharing. For music, the downloaded tracks should not be Apple Music subscription content, as that is not shareable through Home Sharing.

Home Sharing between MacBook Pro and Apple TV not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.