Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repair macbook boot - stuck with white screen and flashing folder with question mark

The problem is the following: the Catalina operating system was installed on my macbook (late 2008); I installed Monterey but it was slow and had no working WiFi (in fact it didn't work and I was forced to use ethernet, while with Catalina there was no problem with WiFi). In an attempt to return with a downgrade to Catalina, something has become corrupted. I created a boot usb pen with the old operating system but the installation was not successful.

Now it does not even display the Apple logo at startup, a white background remains and after a few seconds a folder with a question mark flashes.

I have created several usb boot sticks with different operating systems (Catalina, Big Sur and Yosemite) but it does not start from a usb stick, it is as if it does not even recognize the boot from an external device.

I used the different key combinations:

- D

- Option key

- cmd + option key

- cmd + option key + p + r

- shift + cmd

hoping to be able to boot into recovery mode or run the utility disk, but to no avail.

My macbook does not recognize any key combinations or in any case nothing changes.

I thank in advance who will help me.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 2:59 AM

macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers and do not see any computer listed from 2008 as compatible with Catalina.

If your Mac starts up to a question mark

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

If the question mark appears only momentarily before your Mac starts up normally:

1. Reset NVRAM.
  2. Make sure that your preferred startup disk is selected in Startup Disk preferences.

If the question mark persists, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘) and R to start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. While in macOS Recovery, use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 2:59 AM in response to darkfire86

macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers and do not see any computer listed from 2008 as compatible with Catalina.

If your Mac starts up to a question mark

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

If the question mark appears only momentarily before your Mac starts up normally:

1. Reset NVRAM.
  2. Make sure that your preferred startup disk is selected in Startup Disk preferences.

If the question mark persists, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘) and R to start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. While in macOS Recovery, use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Dec 8, 2021 11:16 AM in response to darkfire86

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Catalina would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Catalina.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >>

Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer.

About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map.

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Dec 8, 2021 11:38 AM in response to darkfire86

That, I am sorry to mention is impossible - Windows PC.

One has to use a Apple Computer to access the Apple Apps Store and that can only be achieved on, you got it, an Apple Computer.

Does one have a friend, relative or some other person known to you who using Apple Computers. Has a machine that Qualifies it Run Catalina and then they make  Bootable Installer. The mail the USB Drive to your location.

Repair macbook boot - stuck with white screen and flashing folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.