Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New M1 Pro Mac will not save display settings

My new M1 Pro 14" Mac is randomly changing the display settings. It is connected to a single external Samsung monitor. When it wakes up from sleep I can see that the monitor arrangement has been changed into a random order. This happens intermittently.

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 12:12 AM

This is a major PIA, every time my mac wakes up from sleep, the display settings get lost. It is more frequent now. I am wondering how many people are experiencing this problem. I have no other issues with my mac. Or is it an indication of some hidden problem I wonder. Apple screwed upon this.

Similar questions

20 replies

Dec 5, 2021 10:05 PM in response to Sonicray

Thanks @Sonicray

Sorry I forgot to add more details. I am not using the HDMI Port. Instead using a USB-C to HDMI adaptor.

My monitor is Samsung, model number - C34H89x. It has only 60Hz refresh rate.

My 2019 Intel MacBook Pro never had this issue with the same monitor and adaptor.

I saw a similar post in communities on the same issue with m1 chip.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252459152

Dec 22, 2021 10:01 PM in response to KurianPhilipK

I am having this same issue with my brand new M1 Max MacBook Pro. I have 2 external Apple thunderbolt displays and it's always changing my arrangement, switching the display arrangement, and changing the resolution on my MacBook Pro display back to "Default" instead of "More Space" under scaling. I never had issues like this with my Intel MacBook Pro.

Apple needs to get this fixed ASAP!

Dec 28, 2021 8:19 AM in response to jeffhall24

Same here. Macbook Pro 14 1TB with two ASUS PA278CV 2L displays connected with the ASUS supplied USB-C cables. Display settings change at random every time the laptop sleeps. Sometimes the displays are reversed. Other times one display is suddenly the main display with the cursor confined to that screen. Stranger still is when the arrangement changes to a single ultra wide display for both PA278CVs with a menu bar but opens the Display Settings window on the laptop screen, which I can’t access with the cursor. Display refresh rate, resolution, and color profiles change every time the problem occurs. This is a frustrating situation to say the least. Surely this isn't normal behavior. Any help?

Dec 29, 2021 7:14 AM in response to Sporked

Update and possible fix. Try disabling automatic source detection on your displays. I fixed this problem in my case by turning off "Auto Source Detection" and manually setting USB Type-C as the input from the ASUS PA278CV menu. So far so good. Update to the update: this only worked a few sleep-wake cycles and then the problem returned.

Dec 29, 2021 7:22 AM in response to Sporked

Thanks. I actually found something else that seems to work,

Because I have two monitors, one of them seems to wake up before the other one - the one I typically use as my secondary monitor.

By turning off that monitor and allowing the computer to wake connecting to the monitor I want as my main monitor first, and then turning on the second monitor, it seems to retain all the settings, even from sleep.

Not totally ideal, but requires two button clicks rather than resetting everything.

I also suppose I could just keep my main monitor awake all the time, though I would prefer not to waste the power when I’m not using the computer for an extended time.

Mar 3, 2022 12:35 AM in response to KurianPhilipK

I also had the same issues. Every time a boot or sleep, the external screen positions are switched. It seems it is a joke made by a developer of MacOSX to provoke some "change" somewhere. It is annoying to reposition the all the time the position. I also try to "trick" it at the limit of stupidity and change the connections physically. It works "as usually", executing its switching function ;)

Apr 13, 2022 5:53 AM in response to KurianPhilipK

I have this problem too ... new M1 MacBook Pro 16" with 2 external Samsung monitors, plus leaving MacBook open as Monitor # 1 and the Samsungs as #2 and #3. I use the HDMI port for 1 monitor, and a USBC Multi-port adapter for the other HDMI connection.

Every time my MacBook would sleep the Samsung monitors would switch order, I would go into Display settings and switch them back, and the next day, reversed again.

I spend some time with Apple Support on the phone and ran through a number of possible issues causing the problem, when I thought and asked the support rep if there is an order that the MacBook pick up the monitors when waking up? She didn't know. So I decided to move the USBC HDMI cable to the dedicated HDMI port, and vice-versa.

We tested a few times and it seemed to work. Woke up my MacBook from sleep this morning and my monitors are still in the correct order. It seems that when waking up it recognizes the HDMI port before the HDMI plugged into the adapter.

Hope this solution works for someone else using HDMI port and adapter.

May 5, 2022 4:44 PM in response to KurianPhilipK

Same scenario with a MacBook Pro 13” M1. Single external display connected. See issues with extended vs main display not being preserved, issue with resolution/scale setting not being preserved either.

happens on multiple displays and multiple hubs/adapters. Been a day 1 behavior since using M1. No issues on any of the with Intel based Mac prior for years with same monitor,adapters and cables

New M1 Pro Mac will not save display settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.