Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer" windows to stop popping up continuously?

I'm running macOS Big Sur, Version 11.2.2, on an iMac bought in the autumn of 2020. Since the last system upgrade, these "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer." windows often pop up at any time, like in Zoom video meetings and other inconvenient times. When the windows pop up they interrupt typing. Sometimes when I walk away from my computer and return, my screen looks look the included picture and it takes me around 5 minutes to clear the multitude of windows that popped up while I was away from the computer. Is there a way to turn off these pop-up windows to stop this insanity?

I have a backup disk attached to my computer and a USB hub. These are the same devices that were attached to my computer with the previous system and this didn't happen. Nothing changed but the system. These pop-up windows are a feature of the new system software. I've gone into preferences and see no way of affecting this. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help stop this craziness.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 3:04 AM

To start with Big Sur 11.2.2 is so out dated and dates back to around March 2020.

There have been numerous updates since then.

The most up-to-date version released is Big Sur 11.6.1 released late October 2021

The updates bring bug fixes and Security fixes too.

5 replies

Dec 8, 2021 1:35 PM in response to Pamaro

1 - Being so out dated as mentioned earlier could be the biggest issue.

2 - Then the method the External Device is connected come into play.

3 - How the external Drive is formatted is probably another place to check. If the drive is formatted to something the Apple computer can not understand - that will give the error message appearing in the pop ups appearing in you picture.

How do I get the "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer" windows to stop popping up continuously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.