Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost word document on iPad! Please help!

I just started a great new job and I created a stunning document and went to put the finishing touches on it and it disappeared before my eyes can somebody please tell me on my iPad how to recover it before I lose my mind?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 4:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 7:12 AM

Hello there, joanfromtoronto!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you need to recover a document that was deleted form your iPad. Was this a Pages document or Word? Do you use the Files app for iCloud to sync your documents across your devices?

If you use iCloud, check out this article to Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:

"When you delete a file from iCloud Drive or On My [device], it goes into your Recently Deleted folder. If you change your mind or accidentally delete a file, you have 30 days to get it back. Go to Locations > Recently Deleted. Select the file that you want to keep and tap Recover. After 30 days, your files are removed from Recently Deleted."

If you use Microsoft Word and have Autosave activated, on the iPad:

1. Open Word.
  2. Click on File tab.
  3. At the lower part in the File tab, look for Recover Unsaved Documents option and then click on it.
  4. Look for the Word document you are trying to recover.
  5. Click Open.
  6. If you were able to open the document, it will give you the option to save the file.

Stay safe!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 7:12 AM in response to joanfromtoronto

Hello there, joanfromtoronto!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you need to recover a document that was deleted form your iPad. Was this a Pages document or Word? Do you use the Files app for iCloud to sync your documents across your devices?

If you use iCloud, check out this article to Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:

"When you delete a file from iCloud Drive or On My [device], it goes into your Recently Deleted folder. If you change your mind or accidentally delete a file, you have 30 days to get it back. Go to Locations > Recently Deleted. Select the file that you want to keep and tap Recover. After 30 days, your files are removed from Recently Deleted."

If you use Microsoft Word and have Autosave activated, on the iPad:

1. Open Word.
  2. Click on File tab.
  3. At the lower part in the File tab, look for Recover Unsaved Documents option and then click on it.
  4. Look for the Word document you are trying to recover.
  5. Click Open.
  6. If you were able to open the document, it will give you the option to save the file.

Stay safe!

Lost word document on iPad! Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.