Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import iTunes Songs and Playlists into Music

I upgraded to Monterey from Mojave. My iTunes library did not automatically import (songs and playlists)

What is the best way to import just the songs and playlist from the previous iTunes.

I know where the ~/Music Folder is, just not sure what to import as to not import all the other media.

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 10:11 AM

14 replies

Dec 7, 2021 3:09 PM in response to turingtest2

An Update:

Apple TV: To get my home videos into Apple TV I found it easier to simply open Apple TV/Library. Then ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Home Videos. Then drag the videos into the Apple TV Library. Worked great.

iTunes Library: Followed tt2 above instructions. Worked great.

Christmas Library(2nd Library): A bit more difficult to understand. Using the same method as with the iTunes Library, if I open my iTunes Christmas Folder, the Library.itl file is greyed out.

Dec 7, 2021 11:59 AM in response to Joe Gramm

Press and hold down option as you launch Music. You will be asked to choose or create a library. Click choose, browse to and open your old iTunes Library.itl file, typically in ~/Music/iTunes. Next choose a location to save the converted Music library. The standard location for this is ~/Music/Music, so you might want to delete or rename this folder first. Music will import the songs, music videos and playlists from your iTunes library. Other content will be ignored. You can repeat with the TV app for other video content.

tt2

Dec 7, 2021 4:37 PM in response to Joe Gramm

Yes, you're using the Choose Library option to access the older library format, this will then prompt conversion to the new format. Once the library has been converted you can switch between the .musiclibrary files by option starting Music. No need to open the .itl files again. The Create Library option is for when you want a new blank library.

tt2

Dec 8, 2021 5:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. I will give the renaming a try in a bit when I have time in case something goes wrong.

In reference to "Back in the day", my iTunes library originated in 2001 and has been upgraded all the way to 2021. So this is my iTunes Libraries 20th anniversary.

I remember when iTunes first came out (2001), you could share your iTunes Library with other registered users. Apple did away with that feature relatively quick.. Record labels would have nothing to do with it.

Import iTunes Songs and Playlists into Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.