Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing iTunes playlist into Apple Music

I bought a new machine, restored my Time Machine backup, but OS Monterey has removed the iTunes App. I've been able to import my iTunes music files, but my playlists did not come over. I can't find any playlist files in the iTunes folders. What's the command or file location to import all playlists in Music?

The Apple response on community says to 'open iTunes and export your playlists'. Well, OS Monterey took iTunes away, so that's not an option. I went back to my old machine and the "Export Playlist" feature in iTunes exports playlists one at a time. I have 100 playlists - am I going to need to export each one separately?

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 11:49 AM

You should be able to use the hold down option when launching Music method to open your previous iTunes Library.itl file and convert it to the new .musiclibrary format. It should import all of your music, along with playlists, ratings, etc. When that doesn't happen some users have found that they can use File > Library > Import Playlist to import the XML file generated by iTunes. If iTunes wasn't automatically generating an iTunes Library.xml file then it is possible to create one on a computer running iTunes. You don't need the media files to export the library as an XML file from a .itl file, but you don need the assistance of someone still running iTunes.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2022 11:49 AM in response to jchmaj

You should be able to use the hold down option when launching Music method to open your previous iTunes Library.itl file and convert it to the new .musiclibrary format. It should import all of your music, along with playlists, ratings, etc. When that doesn't happen some users have found that they can use File > Library > Import Playlist to import the XML file generated by iTunes. If iTunes wasn't automatically generating an iTunes Library.xml file then it is possible to create one on a computer running iTunes. You don't need the media files to export the library as an XML file from a .itl file, but you don need the assistance of someone still running iTunes.

tt2

Importing iTunes playlist into Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.