Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyframes in motion generator in FCX

I have a motion generator project, a scoreboard, I have exported that to FCX.

I have a number of 'Editable in FCP' elements, such as score, fouls, home and away team names, etc...

I add it to my project in FCX, but what I can't do is add keyframes to the text values that I change.

So for example, when a team scores, the score needs to increment, but instead of creating another generator clip, is there a way I can mark it as a keyframe and then make the textual change to the editable text?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 8:35 AM

Here is a small template done as I described above. Use in any way you see fit. It is nowhere near ready, but you can check that it works as described, both in Motion and FCP.

https://we.tl/t-lOhP45f5h3

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 10, 2021 8:12 AM in response to cbruno79

Ok, so here is a very minimal example - it just show one score. If you get how this works, you can easily go on from here.

I will also post the actual Motion template so you can experiment and, if you want, use either as a starting point or a helping example.

This has only one Numbers generator and one slider:

By dragging the slider, you can change the score, as seen in this gif:

Dec 10, 2021 8:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

In a real project, I would have renamed this slider, to, say, Home Team.

Here is how this works:

Add the Numbers generator, and make sure that Decimals are set to zero, so it shows only integer numbers.

Add both the Start and End parameters to the same slider:

Now all you have to do is edit the slider so that, for example, the value 0 makes both Start and End be zero, and the value 100 make both start and end be whatever largest value you want to consider - that will depend on whether this is for, say, basketball, or football. Let's say you want the count to go up to 25 (which should be large enough for football - the real one :-))

Select the slider and in the inspector make sure that it is all the way to the left, and the little ball below it is blue:

Click the Start button and make sure that both Numbers.Start and Number.End are at zero.

Click Stop Editing Mode.

Now move the slider all the way to the right, and make sure that the ball below is blue:

Again, click the Start button, and now change the Numbers.Start and Numbers.End to the desired max value, for example:

Now click Stop Rig Edit Mode.

Finally, Publish the Slider and (optional, but recommended) change its name.

Done.

Dec 10, 2021 4:00 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis.

When I added in a number generator into motion, I couldn't change the value in FCX. I can mimic the same outcome using the counting generate in FCX, but I'd rather encapsulate all of the behaviour in the motion project / generator.

I've also checked to see if theirs an editable in FCP option under the numeric generator, but I can't find anything :(

Dec 10, 2021 6:21 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis, this is the best example you could have given me and without it I would have struggled.

Last quick tip, do you know a way to stop auto-increments of the number? For example, I keyframe 0 at the start, then move to the first goal, keyframe the slider to 1, thats fine, but from then on it auto-increments, so I have go to a moment before the next goal, keyframe at 1 and then move to the goal, keyframe at 2. Otherwise the number seems to go up to 2 randomly during the clip (if there is some time between goals).

Thanks again, great example, and loads of help.

Dec 11, 2021 12:17 PM in response to cbruno79

cbruno79 wrote:

Thanks Luis, this is the best example you could have given me and without it I would have struggled.

Last quick tip, do you know a way to stop auto-increments of the number? For example, I keyframe 0 at the start, then move to the first goal, keyframe the slider to 1, thats fine, but from then on it auto-increments, so I have go to a moment before the next goal, keyframe at 1 and then move to the goal, keyframe at 2. Otherwise the number seems to go up to 2 randomly during the clip (if there is some time between goals).

I don't understand why you are seeing that. I would add a keyframe at the start, with value at 0; move the playhead to one frame before the score change, add a second keyframe, still at 0; move one frame and change the value to 1; and so on.

The value only changes when it is supposed to.

Keyframes in motion generator in FCX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.