Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clips from Photos getting clipped in imovie

I have a 15 second clip in my Photos Library. When I drag it into iMovie it only bring in a 4 second clip. What am I doing wrong?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 9:41 AM

The folks on the Photos for Mac forum will tell you that using the export function in Photos is the most reliable way to export and retain best quality. So, it is a legitimate way of exporting to the desktop and thereafter dragging into iMovie.

The recommended way to import media from the Photos app into iMovie is to open a project, click on the My Media tab in the upper left of the screen, and then import from the Photos library item in the iMovie media sidebar. For this to work the Photos app library must be designated as the system library in the Photos app General preferences.

You should also be able to drag the video directly from the Photos library into iMovie, but you have had no success trying that. However, I have noticed that the Photos app changes its features and capabilities with subsequent versions. Possibly the drag feature is no longer available in the version that you are using.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 9:41 AM in response to MD_Gene

The folks on the Photos for Mac forum will tell you that using the export function in Photos is the most reliable way to export and retain best quality. So, it is a legitimate way of exporting to the desktop and thereafter dragging into iMovie.

The recommended way to import media from the Photos app into iMovie is to open a project, click on the My Media tab in the upper left of the screen, and then import from the Photos library item in the iMovie media sidebar. For this to work the Photos app library must be designated as the system library in the Photos app General preferences.

You should also be able to drag the video directly from the Photos library into iMovie, but you have had no success trying that. However, I have noticed that the Photos app changes its features and capabilities with subsequent versions. Possibly the drag feature is no longer available in the version that you are using.

-- Rich

Dec 10, 2021 7:42 AM in response to Rich839

I just had Photos up and running and dragged and dropped the 15 second clip into iMovie. But it only brought the first 4 seconds. I did try and drag the right hand edge of the clip to the right but it just made the clip longer but still only 4 seconds. I then went back to Photos and exported the clip to the Desktop folder. I dragged and dropped the exported clip into iMovie and got the entire 15 seconds. That's a work around. Is there a setting somewhere that might be causing that? Thanks for your help.

Clips from Photos getting clipped in imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.