Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn of Live Photo permanently -- forever

As an Apple user since 1988, and first-generation iPhone adopter, I feel that "Live Photo" is the worst feature ever introduced to any Apple device. I've tried "preserve settings" and all that, but it keeps coming back like a zombie. Is there any way I can disable this so-called feature forever, secure in the knowledge that it will never appear again? So many photos of mine have be ruined by it.

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 11:12 AM

When it was first released, it was one of those "cool, new features". I suspect that is why it was defaulted to on, and has just stayed that way. I know there have been a few tweaks to how you turned it off, and the setting to preserve camera settings has been one of the nicer ones so once you have configured your camera and exit out, it will stay that way unless you want something else. At least you know that the camera is the way you would normally want it when you start.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 11:12 AM in response to professarap

When it was first released, it was one of those "cool, new features". I suspect that is why it was defaulted to on, and has just stayed that way. I know there have been a few tweaks to how you turned it off, and the setting to preserve camera settings has been one of the nicer ones so once you have configured your camera and exit out, it will stay that way unless you want something else. At least you know that the camera is the way you would normally want it when you start.

Dec 9, 2021 6:50 PM in response to professarap

Because then you open the camera, turn Live Photo off, the close the camera. Next time you open the camera, the Settings are preserved (ON), so that Live Photo does not come back on. That what the setting does, it does not turn off Live Photo, because just turning Live Photo off then closing the camera, next time you open camera, Live Photo would turn back on.

How to turn of Live Photo permanently -- forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.