Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i turn live photos off for ever

How can I turn live photo of permanently

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 10:12 PM

Open Settings ➔ Camera ➔ Preserve Settings ➔ Live Photo: Set this to ON. What this action will do is that it will preserve the setting that you set the next time for Live Photo.

Now, you need to turn Live Photo OFF. Open the Camera app ➔ Tap on the UP arrow (Top) ➔ Tap on Live Photo symbol (Bottom Row) ➔ Tap on Live OFF. This action combined with the Preserve Settings in Step 1, will ensure that Live Photo does not turn ON again unless you manually turn it ON. See image below:

Axel F.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2021 10:12 PM in response to loue1995

Open Settings ➔ Camera ➔ Preserve Settings ➔ Live Photo: Set this to ON. What this action will do is that it will preserve the setting that you set the next time for Live Photo.

Now, you need to turn Live Photo OFF. Open the Camera app ➔ Tap on the UP arrow (Top) ➔ Tap on Live Photo symbol (Bottom Row) ➔ Tap on Live OFF. This action combined with the Preserve Settings in Step 1, will ensure that Live Photo does not turn ON again unless you manually turn it ON. See image below:

Axel F.

Jan 16, 2022 7:44 PM in response to Not Misunderstood

That is part of the Visual Lookup in photos feature. More information on this is ➡️ here. (Scroll all the way down in the article)

I was unable to find where to turn this feature OFF. This also happens to be a part of the Live Photos feature.

How about turning OFF Live Photos as shown a few responses above this one and seeing whether that takes care of your issue?

Axel F.

Jan 17, 2022 4:40 PM in response to Axel Foley

Yes, agree.

Thank you for all your help re turning ‘off’ Live Photo. It seemed to work, sometimes...perhaps mostly... I haven't gone through over 20,000 photos...yet. 

Yes, but did not turn off for every photo in my Photos app. I followed your ‘perfect and easy to understand instructions' (provided here earlier) to turn off ‘Live Photo’, it stopped some of the ‘wiggling’ in my photos, but will need to still manually turn it off some individual photos… and that is too many. 

Also, noticed the ‘Leaf’ still appears in some photos even after following the steps you provided. Other ‘icons’ will also appear (and more about that below). I am now thinking that there may be 2 programs going on in Photos.  One, for Live Photos and another is called a ‘Visual Look Up’ button in Photos. I assumed wrongly — they were in the same app (feature).

I’d like to turn them all off. 

The Leaf icon that appears, is usually in the center of my photos, sometimes on a persons face. There are also other new ‘icons’ in Photos as well, that identify other things, e.g. plants/flowers. Some are named incorrectly.  I know this because the plants are in my garden and I already know their identity.

Also, I searched online and learned that an icon will inform of locations, eg statues, monuments, additional information, etc., other than just the ‘wiggling’. Thus thinking 2 different 'features'.

And, also searching at Apple Support, the feature in Photos is called— ‘Visual Look Up’ button, which is apparently different from Live Photos.

I don’t need or want Live Photos or ‘Visual Look Up’ - and want to remove or turn them off permanently.

The Apple ‘support’ page, describes 3 features, for the ‘Visual Look Up’ button that appears in my photos.

1. Open a photo, then tap the Visual Look Up button 

Tap the icon that appears in the photo or below the photo. For example, you might see a paw print icon  (that will presumably identify the dog/animal type), for pets and animals, or a leaf icon for plants and flowers.

If you don't see the Visual Look Up button then Visual Look Up isn't available for that photo.

[And the app says—]

With Visual Look Up, you can quickly learn more about popular landmarks, art, plants, pets, and other objects that appear in your photos or on the web. 

A conundrum.

Jan 16, 2022 11:06 AM in response to Axel Foley

This 'leaf' appears in photos and identifies various things: plants, locations, etc. I don't want to use this feature; I already know what I photograph, and label myself. My comments are further below, but this is the first time I've been able to post a photo here, but actually my first reply occurred below. [Hope this is not too confusing.]

Jan 12, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Axel Foley

The 'Leaf' appears in Photos (numerous photos). I am able to turn it off, on MacBook Pro by clicking the "Live" icon at the top bar, which is a circle, with what looks like a plus sign. I made screen prints of the 'Live' icon and the 'Leaf' that appears in photos. I have thousands of photos, and to individually turn off in each photo, seems kinda nuts. Is there a way to turn off the 'feature'? Thanks in advance.

BTW, can post the screen prints if helpful.

Jan 19, 2022 3:00 PM in response to Not Misunderstood

Per Apple Customer Support, you cannot turn off Visual Lookup when Photos Info is enabled, i.e. when you want to see your caption, keywords, and metadata. If enough of us "real" photographers complain about this on Apple.com/Feedback, they might put an off/on switch on VLU eventually. I'm going back to Big Sur, where the problem doesn't exist. Who wants that ugly icon on their pictures anyway? Plus, a good % of the pop up info is incorrect, leading to mistrust of Apple's product.

how can i turn live photos off for ever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.