Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur 11.6.1: CPU Fan constantly running when external monitor plugged in

It's happening again! I, as well as many other users, first complained of this issue when upgrading to Big Sur, several years back. Link to the thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7788043. Surprisingly, no resolution was ever posted. Anyone else experiencing this issue; and have you found a solution other than not using extended monitors?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 4:58 AM

You're working the computer hard enough to cause the cpu and other internals to heat up. By design, the fans come on to cool things down. That's not a problem, that's a consequence of Apple's design criteria, i.e. it's supposed to be that way. If it weren't, the computer would be damaged or at the very least throttled back to an unusable speed.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 4:58 AM in response to JJACID

You're working the computer hard enough to cause the cpu and other internals to heat up. By design, the fans come on to cool things down. That's not a problem, that's a consequence of Apple's design criteria, i.e. it's supposed to be that way. If it weren't, the computer would be damaged or at the very least throttled back to an unusable speed.

MacOS Big Sur 11.6.1: CPU Fan constantly running when external monitor plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.