Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey's DND and "DHCP lease renewal" wakes up my MBP

I have MBP 2018, connected to external monitor. After updating to Monterey, laptop started turning on by itself. I did all workaround - turning off power nap, wake for network, deleting all installed apps, reset SMC, memory, erasing hard drive and clean install. Nothing worked. It started to wakes up several times a day, but yesterday it was very annoying - it turns on every 5-10 minutes. When it connected to monitor, it turns on and shows me a lock screen for 5 seconds. When no monitor connected it keeps waking up without letting me know, that's awful. For now before going to bed I just lock the screen, because no reason to put MB to sleep - it will wakes up as soon as I put my head on the pillow.

I talked with support several times and result is nothing. One person said that it is kernel panic, but when I asked her why she made this decision, I got no answer. Definitely because it's not a kernel panic.

So, I spend days googling the problem. There are thousands of same questions and no one answer.

With the help of Terminal I got information about wakes:

Syslog says this about every wake:

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.RTC (Alarm)

pmset gives me this information:

Wake Requests       	[process=mDNSResponder request=Maintenance deltaSecs=5745 
wakeAt=2021-12-10 04:23:15 info="DHCP lease renewal"] [process=NotificationCenter 
request=Maintenance deltaSecs=18866 wakeAt=2021-12-10 08:01:57 
info="com.apple.notificationcenter.dnd"] [*process=PowerUIAgent request=Maintenance
deltaSecs=296 wakeAt=2021-12-10 02:52:26 info="com.apple.obc"] 
[process=powerd request=UserWake deltaSecs=18749 wakeAt=2021-12-10 
08:00:00 info="com.apple.alarm.user-visible-com.apple.donotdisturb.server.ScheduleLifetimeMonitor.timer,402"]

So I turned off DND mode and it didn't wakes my laptop every 5 minutes. But, it still keeps waking up every 2 hours with this:

Wake Requests       	[process=mDNSResponder request=Maintenance deltaSecs=4870
wakeAt=2021-12-10 04:24:52 info="DHCP lease renewal"] [*process=PowerUIAgent
request=Maintenance deltaSecs=295 wakeAt=2021-12-10 03:08:37 info="com.apple.obc"]

Why it must to renew DHCP even while sleeping? I don't need this. If I put laptop to sleep I want to keep it in this mode until I'll wake it up by myself!

So, I really need real technical support to shut up this "com.apple.obc" and fix the DND. Ironically, that Do Not Disturb mode wakes up laptop every 5 mins and It's a biggest disturbing thing itself.

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 8:36 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 10, 2021 1:15 PM in response to 伊織

I have an almost identical problem with my 2015 MB on Big Sur 11.6.1 except its the reminders app for me that seems to be the problem. Every two hours it wakes up and does the DHCP lease renewal but Reminders, not Notification Center. I initially started digging into this because my MacBook would lose 10-20% battery while sleeping overnight, sometimes more. I've done all the usual suspects like bluetooth, power nap, reset SMC, etc. Nothing works. Even checked my DHCP lease renewal time on my router, set it for 24 hours and it did not solve the issue.

I assume a workaround would be to disable wifi every time, but that's an annoyance and it shouldn't have to be done. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere, hoping we can find one here.

One last thing to note, if you go to About This Mac, then System Report, then Power, all the way at the bottom it should say Power Events, Next Scheduled Event. I'm thinking you'll see something there about Notification Center. For me, it says that theres a reminder alarm set for 1/1/2022 which coincides with a reminder in the app that I have since deleted, yet it still remains here. This also coincides with what comes up in Terminal.

Dec 11, 2021 1:51 AM in response to ben29

Update 1.

I run two commands trying to solve the problem:

sudo pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0

The -a key means that this rule must be applied to battery and AC power.

I also run

sudo pmset -a powernap 0

as well, just for sure that nap is really turned off.

The result is... It still wakes up every hour, but with slightly changed reason.

log says

localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.RTC (Alarm)

and pmset says

[*process=PowerUIAgent request=Maintenance deltaSecs=3583 wakeAt=2021-12-11 04:44:08 
info="com.apple.obc"]

So, same process keeps disturbing MacBook, but without any additional information.

I really don't know how to defeating with this issue. First mentions about same problems are from 2014, but apple totally not care.

But I will be looking for the solution anyway and add additional information in this thread.

Dec 12, 2021 2:33 AM in response to 伊織

Update 3. The problem is almost solved.

The reason was - Find My Mac. Turning it off causes most of wakes up are gone. At this night my MB wakes up only 1 time with same "com.apple.obc". That's why I wrote "almost solved" - because my goal - clean log.

I also read lots of information - it's "ok" for MacBook to wakes up, it's called darkwake. But there is a bug causing external monitors turning on, most of problems shows up with DP connection, but I have same troubles with HDMI as well. Anyway, I don't like when my devices doing something without letting me know.

It's sad that Apple won't let us know about the ways the system works. I need collect info by pieces from hundred of threads. I chatted three times with Apple support and all of them didn't say me what's going on. All say that this is a bug, a kernel panic, that I must reinstall macOS and I just wasted my time doing those unnecessary things.

Dec 12, 2021 7:00 AM in response to 伊織

I came up with the same results; except the one thing still waking mine is the Reminders app wanting to remind me about something in 3 weeks, a task that I have actually deleted days ago, so it should not even be a problem. Still had decent battery drain. I think at this point I may have to just accept it and shut down the computer when I'm not using it, which I should not have to do.

I ran the command to stop the TCP keep alive on battery, it was definitely FindMyMac pinging (like it is designed to do). That has since stopped.

Dec 12, 2021 2:30 PM in response to ben29

Update. I erased and reinstalled the operating system and then left it alone for a few hours. Now, the logs show that it wakes every two hours for the "Weekly Activity Report". I'm at a loss. At this point, it seems that the OS is looking for any reason to wake up every two hours while the computer should be sleeping. This is a major bug that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Dec 13, 2021 3:35 AM in response to ben29

Reinstalling system will not help because macOS designed to do what it will want to do without asking user. I saw weekly activity report too, so I disabled this feature.

What I did and it does nothing in my situation:

1. Disabling Airport connections

2. Disabling powernap

3. Disabling wake on Internet Access

4. Cancelling scheduled activities

What was just waste of time:

1. Reinstalling system

2. Resetting the memory and/or SMC

Those were support decisions and they are useless.

What helped me:

1. Turning off DND

2. Turning off tcpkeepalive (0)

3. Disabling find my Mac.

4. Disabling activity report.

After I did steps above, my Mac sleeps well all night.

Please, try steps above - for me all of them together did the work.

Dec 15, 2021 4:40 AM in response to 伊織

Okay, I went back to my house where MacBook is connected with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth. And it started to wake up again. This night it waked up several times each hour with this **** com.apple.obc and new reason - adaptivewake.

IDK what to do. I really want just remove from the system that annoying crap.

Monterey's DND and "DHCP lease renewal" wakes up my MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.