Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dialog boxes slow to open/respond on Monterey

Hello, I updated to Monterey 12.0.1 several weeks ago, and ever since, dialog boxes have a 3-4 second delay when opening from within apps. This was not an issue on Catalina (I skipped Big Sur).

For example, working within Adobe Illustrator, if I go to File>Save-As>Create New Folder, there is a long delay before the dialog boxes pop up. Also, clicking cancel on a dialog has a long delay. It is not exclusive to Adobe apps, as it is happening in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, etc.) AND preloaded Apple apps such as Text Edit and Safari. It happens with a variety of dialog boxes: Save As, Export, Open, etc.

However, if I create a new folder within Finder, it responds instantly as normal.

I have done the following with no improvement:

• Booted in safe mode and it occurs there as well.
  • Ran disk utilities first-aid, no errors returned
  • Reset SMC
  • Reset NVRAM

Is this a known issue that might be fixed in the next update, or is Monterey just geared toward M1 Macs and not really suitable for Intel Macs? Anyone else having this issue?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 12:13 AM

I'm seeing this as well, and don't have Grammarly installed, never have so that's not the cause for me - this is on a brand new M1 Max MacBook Pro.

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 14, 2021 6:14 AM in response to troyjack

Figured it out.

If anyone else is having this issue, and you happen to have Grammarly app installed on your Mac, it is the culprit. I uninstalled Grammarly and everything went back to normal. Mac is now running as quickly and smoothly as ever.

This article has some theories on the cause:

https://medium.com/macoclock/grammarly-extension-for-mac-94307647c8fa

Dialog boxes slow to open/respond on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.