Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos won't play in photos

what do I need to play videos on my MacBook Pro in photos. none of my videos play. the arrow doesn't even show. I don't think I have Quicktime any longer even though it shows in the apps. but it is really not there when I try to open. I have seen in some info that Apple no longer supports Quicktime. so what do we use??

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 4:02 PM

i just did a quick test. you actually CAN open a video from within photos and it will play. you can choose the video in the photos app.

then double click the video so it expands.

then hover over the video and a play button will appear. and at that point, you can also click the green "maximize" button of the photos app to play the video in full screen.

edit: but i still keep my videos in my "movies" folder, where i can double-click any video and it pops up in QT.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2021 4:02 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

i just did a quick test. you actually CAN open a video from within photos and it will play. you can choose the video in the photos app.

then double click the video so it expands.

then hover over the video and a play button will appear. and at that point, you can also click the green "maximize" button of the photos app to play the video in full screen.

edit: but i still keep my videos in my "movies" folder, where i can double-click any video and it pops up in QT.

Dec 10, 2021 3:33 PM in response to daarstaar

daarstaar wrote:

what do I need to play videos on my MacBook Pro in photos.

i don't know if you can. (but i may be corrected) try dragging a video out of photos and drop it on an empty spot on the desktop. once there, double-click on it and it should start playing. (and note which app opens)

none of my videos play.

try each of them in the same manner one by one.

I don't think I have Quicktime any longer even though it shows in the apps. but it is really not there when I try to open.

it's there. if you are trying to open it by clicking the QT icon, nothing will usually appear happen. to play a video you need to open a video (or audio) file and then QT will open. but if you click on QT, you can initiate recordings by using AppleMenu > QuickTime Player > File and choose which type of recording you want to do.

I have seen in some info that Apple no longer supports Quicktime.

if that was true, i'd have a 27-inch paperweight. :)

Videos won't play in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.