Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot stop wifi sync with iPhone and MacBook

When I connect to iTunes, the phone shows up on the left side but nothing is displayed in the main area. I want to turn off wifi sync but I cannot get to that option. While apparently syncing, the laptop is running loudly and my battery is draining and the sync never completes. It just keeps showing the "waiting" icon.

iPhone XS

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 3:04 PM

Hello joymats,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're wanting to turn off the Wi-Fi syncing option between your iPhone and Mac, but the options do not appear for you. Are you using the Finder on your Mac to see these settings? Here are those steps, just in case: Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad over Wi-Fi

If so, have you tried restarting your Mac and iPhone? Restarting can resolve many odd issues:

Restart your iPhone

Shut down or restart your Mac

If the behavior continues, let us know more details:

• Which macOS version and iOS version is installed on your devices? Menu options can vary between versions. For your iPhone tap Settings > General > About to find out. For your Mac, select the Apple menu > About This Mac > Overview.
  • How are you connecting to your Mac initially?

The more details you can provide the better.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 3:04 PM in response to joymats

Hello joymats,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're wanting to turn off the Wi-Fi syncing option between your iPhone and Mac, but the options do not appear for you. Are you using the Finder on your Mac to see these settings? Here are those steps, just in case: Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad over Wi-Fi

If so, have you tried restarting your Mac and iPhone? Restarting can resolve many odd issues:

Restart your iPhone

Shut down or restart your Mac

If the behavior continues, let us know more details:

• Which macOS version and iOS version is installed on your devices? Menu options can vary between versions. For your iPhone tap Settings > General > About to find out. For your Mac, select the Apple menu > About This Mac > Overview.
  • How are you connecting to your Mac initially?

The more details you can provide the better.

Take care.

Dec 13, 2021 1:46 PM in response to TammyW_03

Hi. I actually did what you suggested last night -- I turned off my Mac Book (I am running Monterey OS 12.0.1) and this morning I wired my iPhone XS to the MacBook and it started synching and showing progress. With that I could de-select sync over WiFi. The phone was backed up and synched with the MacBook and I am not hearing my macBook running continuously whenever I wake it up. Your answer was exactly what I did so it is helpful. I think I don't shut down my MacBook often enough and then problems build up. So thanks for taking the time to answer. If what you suggested and what I ended up doing did not solve the problem, I would have called Apple support. Thanks

cannot stop wifi sync with iPhone and MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.