Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ringtone file won't copy to Tones

After more than 4 hours of learning and work, I finally found the way to convert my music clip to m4r format using itune, first limit the length and then convert to AAC -- this option was not available but could be selected in the preference -- not clear in many of the instructions. Now a 29 sec clip is finally created with the correct file extension m4r (generated by conversion instead of "rename"). I use the drag and drop, control-C and -V, or copy and paste, none of these was able to put the clip into the TONES folder. Soooo frustrating, I start realizing why people are saying Apple is as user friendly as its Android competitors. I can't believe I have spent several days but still can't install my own ringtone.

Please someone give a professional answer. Many thanks.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 1:24 PM

I followed the instructions (https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12051) and failed to copy to Tone many times until this morning when I did it differently. I would like to point out the issue was that the file extenstion cannot be modified by simply "Change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r. " (Number 8 in Creating a Ringtone). Because that way the file type does not get changed even though .m4r is attached to the filename. And Tone refuses to accept any file types but m4r. I searched and found a site that does the file conversion for free:

https://www.zamzar.com/uploadComplete.php?session=ce9fc3ef1c4e7c38fca1fb1b791f568&tcs=Z79 You simply upload, convert and download. After that conversion I was able to move the file into Tone folder.

I hope this experience is useful to others.

txzhou

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2022 1:24 PM in response to ovirt

I followed the instructions (https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-12051) and failed to copy to Tone many times until this morning when I did it differently. I would like to point out the issue was that the file extenstion cannot be modified by simply "Change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r. " (Number 8 in Creating a Ringtone). Because that way the file type does not get changed even though .m4r is attached to the filename. And Tone refuses to accept any file types but m4r. I searched and found a site that does the file conversion for free:

https://www.zamzar.com/uploadComplete.php?session=ce9fc3ef1c4e7c38fca1fb1b791f568&tcs=Z79 You simply upload, convert and download. After that conversion I was able to move the file into Tone folder.

I hope this experience is useful to others.

txzhou

Jan 12, 2022 7:27 AM in response to turingtest2

Dear tt2, very well it may work on Mac. However, changing the file type by renaming it simply did not work on a Windows 10 based PC, as I had tried more than a douzen times - the file could not be dragged or pasted into Tones, not until it was truly converted. I did not have to pay for file conversion though. It was a free servie.

Thanks for the help and discussions,

txzhou

Dec 16, 2021 11:44 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

Since I can't find another way to contact you I'll put this here. Thanks for your detailed instructions in that post you linked to. I got stuck at the "Add ringtone to device, iTunes 12.7 or later" step of copying the ringtone to the "Tones" folder on my iPhone. I was trying to drag-and-drop it (High Sierra) and perhaps was a bit slow. After some further web searching I finally tried and found success with copy/paste instead.

Perhaps you feel that you've already alluded to it in your article but in my case it would have helped to have seen something more definitive and platform-agnostic such as "drag/drop to iTunes may not work so be sure to also try copy/paste".

Thanks again for your very helpful instructions.

(Oh, and apologies, txzhou, for hijacking your thread.)

ringtone file won't copy to Tones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.