Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications regularly quit on their own

Hi everyone,

I noticed that starting with macOS Monterey some apps tend to quit on their own. For example Outbank or Notes, Reminders. They do not quit unexpectedly.

Is this a known 12.0.1 bug? I see the same behaviour an an Intel MBP from 2015 as well as on the new AS 16" MBP.

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 2:27 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Jan 5, 2022 1:25 PM in response to Björn Herrmann

I'm having the same issue since upgrading to Monterey. Messages and Notes quit regularly on me in the background, with no notification. In the decades that I've had Macs, I've never seen applications silently quit in this way. It happens about once a day. AppleCare told me to boot my computer in safe mode and then boot in regular mode again to see if that fixes it. After that they suggested reinstalling the OS and then doing a clean reinstall.

I don't plan to do an OS reinstall unless there's evidence that this will actually fix anything. Seems more likely this is an OS bug that needs to be squashed in an update.

Dec 11, 2021 2:41 AM in response to Björn Herrmann

Have has none of theses issues. Ran Big Sur and since upgraded to Monterey - and still no issues.

Has one attempted booting in Safe Mode and run that was to Test if the same issues are presented ?

This Mode will load slowly - normal.

It does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and Eliminates Third Party Software, extension and fonts from loading.

Should the issue described not be presented 1 - there is Third Party Software at play or 2 - something in the user account might be the cause.

To further isolate the issue Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and then sign out of original account and not the newly added account the Test again

Should the issues not be present in newly created account - this would seem to indicate the original account is the source of you issue.

Jan 5, 2022 1:43 PM in response to lumfounded

In my opinion this might be a feature borrowed from iOS’ memory mangement. I saw it happen with apps I usually keep open, but seldomly use like Reminders and Notes. This was already an issue I had with macOS Big Sur. Having upgraded to macOS Monterey 12.1 I’ve only seen the self-quitting with 1 app: Outbank. It never quits while I work on the Mac, but after prolonged periods of inactivity with the system sleeping (or being locked) I regularly find it closed. I suspect in this case Touch ID. I authorized Outbank for Touch ID.

If I’ve left the Mac alone long enough in order to ask for Touch ID to unlock, Outbank will usually be closed. Since it's currently only happening with this app I’ve contacted the developer…

Applications regularly quit on their own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.