Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Programs automatically quit when 2020 Mac Mini sleeps

I have a 2020 Mac Mini M1 with 16BG memory running Monterey 12.3.1. Every time it goes to sleep all the open applications automatically quit and I have to restart them when I wake the Mini up from sleep. This does not seem normal.

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 8:18 PM

The answer turned out to be in System Preferences/Security & Privancy under the General tab. To fix the problem I clicked the lock icon and enter your password. Then click the Advanced tab. The slip that opens has a "Log out after ___ minutes of inactivity" option. Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1 has this option checked as the default. The problem went away once I uncheck the box.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2022 8:18 PM in response to Jmanna13

The answer turned out to be in System Preferences/Security & Privancy under the General tab. To fix the problem I clicked the lock icon and enter your password. Then click the Advanced tab. The slip that opens has a "Log out after ___ minutes of inactivity" option. Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1 has this option checked as the default. The problem went away once I uncheck the box.

Apr 28, 2022 11:29 AM in response to Larrie Easterly

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Larrie!

We understand that apps close out on their own when your Mac mini goes to sleep. We'd be happy to provide information to help you out.

Start out by trying the suggestions here: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac

Highlights from the above article:

• Make sure the app is compatible with your version of macOS.
Check for updates to your software.
• Disconnect any peripheral devices you just connected (for example, a printer). They may not be compatible with your version of macOS.
• Uninstall any app plug-ins or enhancements from other manufacturers.
If you recently updated the app or macOS, a plug-in or enhancement you installed may no longer be compatible.
Diagnose problems with your Mac to learn whether hardware you installed, such as additional memory, is incompatible, improperly installed, or defective.

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Apr 30, 2022 7:51 PM in response to mingoslkd

Am running the latest version of all the software updated for M1 processor.

The only peripheral connected directly to the computer is an LG monitor via Thunderbolt.

There are no plug ins or enhancements. The setup is basic stock.

The M1 is only a couple of weeks old.

The programs that quit during sleep are Mail and Safari. No other programs are running.

Programs automatically quit when 2020 Mac Mini sleeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.