Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac sleeps and all applications close

For the last couple of weeks I have been having this. I am currently using several apps on my iMac, lets say Excel, Safari, and Adobe. I step away from my computer and the machine goes to sleep. When I come back and log back in, all of my apps are closed and the machine is acting as if it just rebooted, and starts opening the programs that open at start up.

This is very frustrating throughout the day since I work from home and use this computer.

Any suggestions on what is causing this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 19, 2019 2:13 PM

5 replies

Aug 20, 2019 3:58 PM in response to rym2112

Please navigate to the Mac App Store and download the free version of EtreCheck OR please click www.EtreCheck.com where you will find the app. Once you downloaded the free app and created the report please post it as your reply to this message. In order to post it, please use the following link for more detailed instructions on how to correctly include the results: 

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

We can then look for obvious issues that may be causing your problem.

Aug 20, 2019 7:15 PM in response to rym2112

Found your problem!! Mac OS is extremely secure and only needs to be kept up-to-date to remain so. It does not need nor does it benefit in any fashion by adding antivirus apps, cleaning apps or any other third party "maintenance" apps. Most of these create far more problems than they ever solve. You have not one but 2 of the worst apps in the industry installed on your computer Symantec and McAfee AV apps. Both are notorious for making a mess out of Mac OS.

Please locate the uninstall instructions from the developers of each and uninstall. If you are lucky they have not damaged Mac OS. Once uninstalled, please restart in Safe Mode per Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support and then restart normally and re-test.

Mac sleeps and all applications close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.