Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apps shutting down randomly

i have a new macbook air about 2 months old (stock, 8 GB memory) running Monterrey).

i transferred all my data/apps from a previous macbook air. things are fine except about a month ago, something strange started happening.

a few of my apps started closing randomly without warning, but never when i'm using them.

only when my computer goes to sleep or i'm not paying attention and suddenly i find the app closed.

this happens periodically throughout the day. it mostly happens with Mail app and Numbers app. sometimes (but not often) Safari.

i have a lot of apps open, perhaps it's a memory issue? i have a mere 8 GB of memory (i know, i would have gotten more but at the time that was all that was available). but it never happened with my old macbook air that had 8 GB of memory also.

any thought on what it could be?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 1:01 AM

First try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 20, 2022 2:37 AM in response to 666dorado

666dorado wrote:

i have a new macbook air about 2 months old (stock, 8 GB memory) running Monterrey).

i transferred all my data/apps from a previous macbook air. things are fine except about a month ago, something strange started happening.

a few of my apps started closing randomly without warning, but never when i'm using them.

only when my computer goes to sleep or i'm not paying attention and suddenly i find the app closed.

this happens periodically throughout the day. it mostly happens with Mail app and Numbers app. sometimes (but not often) Safari.

i have a lot of apps open, perhaps it's a memory issue? i have a mere 8 GB of memory (i know, i would have gotten more but at the time that was all that was available). but it never happened with my old macbook air that had 8 GB of memory also.

any thought on what it could be?

How is the " Empty Space Available" situation on the new computer.

Applications suddenly closing for no apparent reason and no error message pop up could be an indication of Lack of Empty Space on the Internal Drive.

Good computer practices is keeping at least 15% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

apps shutting down randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.