Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Oppo UDP-205 USB DAC output to M1 MacBook Air

I just received my Monoprice USB cable to go between my Oppo UDP205 and my M1 MacBook Air through the Monoprice USB hub I've had since I got the Mac.

The "OPPO UDP-205 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC" item appears in the System Preferences, Sound Output screen:

I plug my headphones into the Oppo's standard 1/4" headphone plug in front. I note the Sound System Preference's volume is frozen at maximum, so I started the Oppo's Headphone Volume under Audio Processing on 10, and escalated it to 40 before stopping.

I play my tunes, and there is never any sound coming through. When I unplug the USB cable to the Oppo at the Mac, the external speakers play my tunes fine. Plug the USB cable to the Oppo back in, no sound.

I can hear a light 'pop' sound when plugging my headphones into the Oppo, and unplugging them from the Oppo.

My Oppo's "DAC Version", under Firmware Information is USB-0112. The two upgrades (to 115 and then 118) will not run and give me this message:

Please advise, what am I missing?

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 1:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 6:02 AM

TheGoldenKnight,

Thank you for clarifying. It appears that alert may be from the driver and not an app.

Let's attempt to download the firmware again using this page: OPPO Sonica DAC Firmware Update - USB DAC Firmware

If the issue persists, we would recommend reaching out to Oppo support by going to :

Oppo Product Support

Good Luck!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2021 6:02 AM in response to TheGoldenKnight

TheGoldenKnight,

Thank you for clarifying. It appears that alert may be from the driver and not an app.

Let's attempt to download the firmware again using this page: OPPO Sonica DAC Firmware Update - USB DAC Firmware

If the issue persists, we would recommend reaching out to Oppo support by going to :

Oppo Product Support

Good Luck!

Dec 15, 2021 10:38 PM in response to Corrie84

Oppo's support discourages any firmware updates at-present:

"We are aware of issues when using DSD files with the firmware update" - and - "for some the firmware had to be downgraded" to that which came with the player.

Regarding the USB DAC and headphone amplifier issue with my M1 Mac, however - it was something simple.

Oppo support asked me to test several facets, over some days - then "This may sound silly, but did you select the USB DAC Input by pressing the Input button on the OPPO remote?"

Voila, that was the one simple thing I was missing. I was unaware of any such input switching on my UDP-205. Now I play tunes on my M1 Mac, and hear them through the exquisite DAC and headphone amp of my Oppo UDP-205. I hear things I've never heard before on tunes I've listened to for years, some decades.

It reminds me of the mid-eighties, when CDs arrived. That is the first time I can recall hearing things I'd never heard before.

There you go.

Dec 12, 2021 2:53 PM in response to TheGoldenKnight

Hello TheGoldenKnight,

It sounds like you are experiencing an issue using 3rd party hardware with your Mac. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

First, let's try the steps outlined here: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

If the issue persists, can you verify if the app you are using was downloaded form the App Store? Also, which macOS version are you currently using?

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2021 8:22 PM in response to barberlives123

Greetings,

There is no app involved. The Oppo UDP-205 is an audiophile 4K UHD DVD player, which is equipped with an exceptional DAC and dedicated headphone amplifier.

The input for the DAC in the rear of the UDP-205 is a B-type USB connector. I got a Monoprice USB-A to USB-B cable running from the UDP-205 to my Monoprice USB-C to USB-A and Ethernet hub. This hub is how any USB-A and ethernet connects with my M1 MacBook Air. iTunes (now the Music app on the M1 MacBook Air - I find myself still calling it iTunes) is playing my tunes, and should play them through the Oppo's DAC and headphone amplifier.

The same USB port on which the Oppo was tried, is what my Monoprice USB DAC/AMP stick has been (and is right now as I'm typing this) using to successfully play my tunes. It successfully circumvents my M1 MacBook Air's intrinsic DAC - it sounds a bit clearer/cleaner, and reveals more delicate details.

My M1 MacBook Air is running Monterey (12.0.1) and appears to successfully 'see' the Oppo UDP-205's DAC, evidenced by the first screen shot in my initial posting.

All appears to be set - but no tunes.

I am hoping I'm missing something - perhaps something simple.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Oppo UDP-205 USB DAC output to M1 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.