Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After transferring iTunes to Apple Music incomplete data

Hello,

after moving iTunes from my old Mac (MacOS High Sierra / iTunes 12.8.3.1) to my new Mac (MacOS Monterey / AppleMusic 1.2.0.273), I have my audio files in the library, but some data such as my rating is missing in the application. I did not find any meaningful advice anywhere. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 7:33 AM

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. You need to get Music to convert your previous iTunes library to the new Music format rather than importing the media, otherwise you can expect to lose the ratings, playlists, etc. as you have found.

tt2

Similar questions

8 replies

Dec 12, 2021 4:36 PM in response to simbla

Hello simbla,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. Viewing your music ratings is important, and we'd like to help.

Check to be sure ratings are turned on. This is found in the Music app > Songs > View > Show View Options > Rating. Check out the section "Turn ratings on or off" in the user guide below to learn more:

Rate songs and other content in Music on Mac

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Dec 13, 2021 6:51 PM in response to simbla

simbla,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us after reviewing the steps we shared above.

How did you move your music files to your new Mac? Here are our recommended steps:

Move your content to a new Mac

Restore your Mac from a backup

If you rate songs again, do the ratings remain after closing the Music app or restarting your Mac?

How to force an app to quit on your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac

Have a great rest of your day or evening. 

Dec 14, 2021 2:12 PM in response to Erin_B11

Thank You Erin_B11

I don't have a backup, but I’ve a source original Mac with High Sierra and the original data.

I’ve a clean installation on new iMac. I copied the iTunes Music folder from the user's Music folder to the new Mac's Music folder, which I then imported to Apple Music using the Import command. Everything loaded right, but my ratings and play counts are missing. Why? Please note that I don't have an Apple Music streaming account activated. The files used are only my physical recordings. It would help me to know why these two details (rating and play counts) are missing from the songs. Is it written to a some file in iTunes preferences? I can copy the file from my old iMac but I don't know what.

Thanks.

Simbla

After transferring iTunes to Apple Music incomplete data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.