Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues opening iTunes library in the new Music app

Hi all!

Having trouble importing my iTunes library from my 2017 13" MacBook (High Sierra) over to my new 14" M1 Pro (Monterey).

I've transferred this library to new machines a few times over the last decade, so I am familiar with the process. Unfortunately the Music app is not reading my .itl file from the old machine. I can import via the XML, but I desperately need to keep my original "date added" metadata (I don't really care about play counts, ratings, etc).

FYI I've tried copying the iTunes library over via the drag and drop method, and also tried restoring the new 14" from a Time Machine backup- both no dice. I'm considering updating the OS on my old machine to Monterey to see if the library will open, but I'm afraid I'll just brick that computer as well, lol.

I have noticed lately that my library has caught the bug that truncates newly added tracks. Not sure if that has anything to do with this...

If anyone has pointers on how to get this library copied over while retaining my Date Added info, I'm all ears!

Michael’s MacBook Pro 14", MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 6:32 PM

See this thread: I can no longer migrate my library from P… - Apple Community. I've put my email address back in my profile if you want me to try to convert your .itl file for you.

I'm not familiar with this truncating bug you mention.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 24, 2022 12:10 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks! Fairly slammed with work through the weekend but I'll be trying these tips asap. Also will take you up on your offer and email over the .itl file.

And that bug I have causes some newly added tracks to play up to a random point in the song and then skip to the next track out of no where. Seems there's no rhyme or reason to it- some tracks do it and some don't.

Issues opening iTunes library in the new Music app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.