Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i restore my iTunes star ratings in Music?

I recently upgraded my Mac and OS to Monterey 12.6.3. I had a 2014 iMac with iTunes, and a library of almost 27,000 songs. Every single one of them had a star rating which I used for organizing, searching and filtering. I exported the iTunes library as an .XML file and imported it into Music on my new Mac. Everything transferred over except for the star ratings (star ratings are visible in Music but they all reset to 0 stars). I would really like to have that available since it represents a decade of work. Thanks.

Mac mini (2018)

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 11:27 AM

Yes. Monterey should be able to convert an iTunes library from any prior version, but seems to have a habit to freezing in the process. Music in Catalina (which I'm running on an old Mac mini) can convert the library to the .musiclibrary format, which Music in Monterey can then open. I've helped about two dozen people at this point.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2023 11:27 AM in response to drumhedz

Yes. Monterey should be able to convert an iTunes library from any prior version, but seems to have a habit to freezing in the process. Music in Catalina (which I'm running on an old Mac mini) can convert the library to the .musiclibrary format, which Music in Monterey can then open. I've helped about two dozen people at this point.

tt2

Mar 9, 2023 8:22 AM in response to drumhedz

I don't know why the XML import didn't bring over the star ratings. That's not an issue I've noticed anyone else report, although I understand why you might have needed to do an XML import to try to convert your iTunes library with Monterey. Converting the .itl on Catalina or Big Sur should retain the star ratings. I've helped a number of people convert the .itl file when they haven't had access to a suitable version of macOS to do it themselves. If you'd like me to convert yours for you then you'll find my contact information in my profile here. Send me the .itl library file and I'll post back a Music version.

tt2

Mar 10, 2023 12:51 AM in response to turingtest2

First time I tried it worked for the star ratings but lost all of my album artwork and the location to my music folder was broken (located on an external 4TB drive since the startup disk on my Mac Mini is currently a 128GB SSD). Second time I tried I was able to successfully re link the music folder so all is well. Thanks for all of your help.

how can i restore my iTunes star ratings in Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.