Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app on my MBP 2016 Freezes on Opening

This discussion did occur with another person back in September 2021, and the answer may have addressed the issue with the iPhone and iPad, but not the computers like MBP, etc.

Since Monterey was installed Message app opens and freezes. I have to quit and then restart... anyone have a solution for that? Thank you- PS: the problem is NOT occurring on the iOS systems (iPhone and iPad). Just want to make that clear... always appreciate the communities assistance...

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 5:07 PM

4 replies

Dec 12, 2021 5:01 PM in response to Michael Driskill

Hi Michael Driskill, thanks for posting this in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're experiencing issues with the Apple Messages app becoming unresponsive, and we'd be happy to help. To get us going, we'd like to ask you a few questions first.

How soon do you "quit and the restart" after the Messages app has become unresponsive?

Do you have more than one user account set up on your Mac computer? If so, does this same behavior occur throughout all user accounts?

Are you using the latest version of the macOS Monterrey software?

Aside from those questions, we recommend that you check out the additional troubleshooting steps found here: If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

Let us know if that helps.

Cheers!

Messages app on my MBP 2016 Freezes on Opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.