Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tv gen 3 with Macbook Pro (Big Sur) and iphone 12

I am not able to have the Apple TV show up with screen mirroring with any devices (listed above). I have tried all the regular things here listed in the forums...router reset, firewalls, wifi the same, restarting and resetting Apple TV to factory settings, restarting iphone, making sure all devices have the most recent updates, etc. Nothing works. I even bought a new (used) one thinking it might be a hardware issue...same thing. Did Apple make this device obsolete?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2021 7:01 PM

Hello,

After a past update which opened up AirPlay sharing to Apple TV’s from more devices, some additional setup was required to use the feature.

If you're asked to enter an AirPlay password on Apple TV - Apple Support

“Set up Device Verification for Apple TV (3rd generation)

To set up a requirement for a one-time onscreen password for all AirPlay-enabled devices, go to Settings > AirPlay > Security and turn on Require Device Verification.”

About Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) software updates - Apple Support

“Apple TV Software Update 7.0

• Peer-to-peer AirPlay: Your guests can AirPlay from their Mac or iOS device directly to your Apple TV (model A1469 or later) without connecting to your wireless network.“

Apple TV 2nd and 3rd generation WiFi hardware does not include either 802.11ac or ax which was likely the main reason for all of this.

I hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2021 7:01 PM in response to chris1362

Hello,

After a past update which opened up AirPlay sharing to Apple TV’s from more devices, some additional setup was required to use the feature.

If you're asked to enter an AirPlay password on Apple TV - Apple Support

“Set up Device Verification for Apple TV (3rd generation)

To set up a requirement for a one-time onscreen password for all AirPlay-enabled devices, go to Settings > AirPlay > Security and turn on Require Device Verification.”

About Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) software updates - Apple Support

“Apple TV Software Update 7.0

• Peer-to-peer AirPlay: Your guests can AirPlay from their Mac or iOS device directly to your Apple TV (model A1469 or later) without connecting to your wireless network.“

Apple TV 2nd and 3rd generation WiFi hardware does not include either 802.11ac or ax which was likely the main reason for all of this.

I hope this helps.

Apple tv gen 3 with Macbook Pro (Big Sur) and iphone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.