Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configuring External Monitors (Properly lol)

Hi all!

Recently was purchased my 1st MacBook (whoop whoop) but I use two extra monitors typically. So I have a usb-c dock (HP brand), I plug it into my MacBook Air and both monitors come on just fine but they mirror each other.

I can go into the display settings and it only shows 1 extra monitor, as if it doesn't recognize a 2nd extra monitor (although that monitor is on and just mirroring). The monitors are plugged into the docking station via display port (one is a true display port cable into the monitor, the other is an HDMI cable that has the HDMI to display port adapter.

Any ideas on what I need to do? I'm sure its just me not knowing what I don't know ha ha, thanks for your time!!!

-Brad

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2021 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 5:06 AM

Surprised that the second display is displaying at all. Per the the M1 MacBook Air specs, its clearly states(https://support.apple.com/kb/SP825?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US):

Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB-C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2021 5:06 AM in response to B-Rad51583

Surprised that the second display is displaying at all. Per the the M1 MacBook Air specs, its clearly states(https://support.apple.com/kb/SP825?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US):

Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB-C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

Dec 13, 2021 7:06 AM in response to B-Rad51583

B-Rad51583 wrote:

Thanks for the response, funny because when I was at BB they said multiple times it would work fine with two extra and sold me a usb c docking station that they said works for that lol. Guess this is getting returned!

People at Best Buy are not always sufficiently educated as a source of tech info, especially with Macs when it comes to specific models.

Configuring External Monitors (Properly lol)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.