Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When iMessaging "yourself", the text tone doesn't ring - is this by design?

I know, I know, why does anyone want to text themself? :-) Well, there is a reason and I'm trying to see if the result is deliberate or not.

When I receive an iMsg or SMS from anyone other than my own acct, my iPhone plays the sound I have it set for. However, if I send myself a msg, it arrives just fine but no sound is played. This is true whether I send the msg from my iMac and I'm wanting to pick it up on my iPhone or from my iPhone and want to pick it up on my iMac. Basically, it's sending the msg from and to the same account.

Is this by design that it will not play the sound? If so, does anyone know a way to make it play the sound?

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 3:07 PM

Thats because when you receive a message from an open iMessage thread it automatically stops the sound on all devices. It just plays a swoosh. However, if you send from an iPhone and lock the phone extremely quickly, it may still play.

Hope this helps.

2 replies

Dec 14, 2021 5:49 AM in response to Yeet_Boy_FRESH

Hi CrzyBoy777,

Thanks for your reply and you are correct! I was testing it more after making my post. I had to put my iMac to sleep, then using my iPhone I sent myself a msg and then immediately locked it and set it down on the table, about four seconds later it played the new msg sound and displayed it on the Lock Screen. I had done those steps before posting but guess I was just never fast enough putting the iPhone into Lock mode. This is the way I would have expected it to work.

Thank you! Guess you're not that Crzy after all :-))

When iMessaging "yourself", the text tone doesn't ring - is this by design?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.